• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New call

Started by rwehuntn, June 09, 2007, 04:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwehuntn

Got done with a different call design (Different to me anyway) made from 2 dymondwood triangles and a corian color sample. The reed is a THO open reed. There is no finish on this one, it is just polished. Sorry about the photo orientation, I tried to rotate it but it made the call look short and fat. Let me know what you think.

rwehuntn

cb223

Thats awesome! I like it.
CHAD

FinsnFur

I agree, pretty slick configuration there. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

That's pretty cool, I haven't seen one like that before. Good job :highclap:

Steve

Hawks Feather

Here it is standing.  I think it looks pretty good - lines match up real well, etc.  Not that there is any problem, but if it were mine I would insert the mouthpiece a little more - till the green band touches the top of the call.  It won't change the sound, just looks better to me.  But then again that is just what looks good to me and I can't speak for others.

Jerry

Brad H

Very neat looking stuff.

I'm trying to picture it with the mouthpiece in further and can't decide which way I would prefer. That puts me on the fence on that one. Otherwise, they look great.

Brad

FinsnFur

Let me see if I can poke it down in there for ya a little Brad. With any luck the glue wont be dry yet.

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

I like it!! Very creative!!

There might only be so many ways to turn a piece of wood but there are even more ways to configure it 1st. Nicely done!! :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

rjl54

I guess if you have a tight fit it doesn't matter.  The owner can push it in were ever he wants.  Personally, I like it out a bit.  It's like the greenie-many I make calls for pull the greenie off ; one of the reasons I went back to a cork wedge.  A drop of CA ontop of the reed and against the cork hold it in place.

studabaka

Jim, That is just slick  :yoyo:

Seeing the two approaches side by side, I like the 'pushed in' look much better. It provides a cleaner line that draws your eye completely to the awesome effects of the wood.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Brad H

And Jim say he's not a callmaker... :noway: :biggrin:

Brad

rwehuntn

I agree, it does look better with the reed pushed further in, crap. Oh well, guess that means I need to get more Dymondwood  and make more. :eyebrow:

Jim, don't people ask permission before they poke where you live ?????? :roflmao: :roflmao:

I think I will keep this one and try to improve the design, thanks for the advice, stay tuned for more.

Pilgrim

Very nice.   I've been slowly working on some corian laminates for a couple months now.  Very interesting stuff.   I'm not sure how they are going to turn out and I'm a little unsure about gluing corian and wood together.   I just hope they don't blow up on the lathe.   Looks like you did a fantastic job on yours!

rwehuntn

Pilgrim,

Thank you for the kind words. Here is what I did to make the call.

I used elmers polyurethane glue to put that call and another together (pics soon). I had to sand the dymondwood flat on the saw cut to flatten it out. Then I put a thin layer of glue on the corian and dipped the dymondwood in water. According to the label on the glue, the material to be glued needs to have some moisture for the glue to set properly. One thing about the polyurethane glue is don't put it near a place you don't want it. It foams and does weird stuff as it cures and gets all over the place.  If you get it on your hands, it is a pain to get off as well. The only problem I ran into turning this call was the glue line. In the area the wood transitioned to the corian, when it got real thin it chipped out. It turned out to be no big deal all the spots sanded out well. Other than that, the glue held well and there were no failures with the bond.

I suppise you could sand the corian to rough it up and get a better bond, but I did not do that. For the people that don't know, you can get the dymondwood triangles from hut. They sell them in matched sets for 3.00 a set. There are two sizes, this call was made from the large triangles.

Hope this helps someone.

rwehuntn

awh

I like it. I also understand what your saying on the glue. Cam glued in a reed sleeve with it and .....well, lets say it had to be re-drilled and is on his lanyard. But teh sleeve ain't going to come out anytime soon.
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.