• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I need info boys.

Started by Dogwood Creek, June 17, 2007, 04:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogwood Creek

I got a couple guns from my dad today. One is a Savage 340 in 222. It is in very nice condition, and a welcome addition to the family arsenal. The other is an oddball. It is a Mossberg mod. 800ASM. It is the ugliest action I have ever seen. It is chambered in 308 Win on a 20" pipe. Hinged floor plate, Walnut stock, Rosewood grip and end caps with white line spacers. The comb has a big rollover and a cheek piece reminiscent of the 1980 Mod 70 XTR. Actually, the thing feels great in hand and on the shoulder, and was probably a real looker in it's day. It has a very 70s look to it. Anyone have any poop on this piece?  :confused:

Hawks Feather

R.J.

I don't know much about the Mossbergs you have, but found it in the Blue Book.  800M was similar to the 800, except 20 inch barrel, full length stock, spoon bolt handle, Manufactured 1969-1972.  They don't list an ASM.

They list some 340s but they are all in .22 caliber.

Jerry

CCP

I don't know anything about the mossberg but I did have a savage 340 in 30-30. It was a good rifle no problems I shot 130g splitzers out of it with good results.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Dogwood Creek

Hey Jerry, is there a blue book web site? I did a search, but couldn't bring one up. It would be a handy thing to have access to.

Hawks Feather

R. J.

They show a download version, but I don't see anything about an on-line version.  I usually get one every other year.

https://store.bluebookinc.com/home/default.htm

Jerry

I just checked a little further in the above link and they may have something.

vvarmitr

Hey RJ, how about posting a pix of it for us ol'gun cranks. :biggrin:

Dogwood Creek

I'll see if I can get one posted this evening V.V. Now that the father's day extravaganza is past.

Dogwood Creek

Well, here are a couple pics of the old Mossyburg. I found out it orriginally sold for about $150.00. This one is the deluxe model, thus the inflated price. With the exception of the full stocked carbine, the other models sold  in the $100.00 range. This one was in production from 1970 thru 1973. Early model 800s were sold from 1969 on, and didn't recieve serial numbers until 1970. The people at Mossberg were nice enough to hook me up with the head of the Mossberg Collectors Association. These 800s are known to be some very good shooters. I don't see how with the trigger as issued. But I understand they can be filed to a cleaner break. I will most likely refinish the stock one this one, as it is pretty rough. Then just park it as a conversation piece. Should it actually shoot as the people in the know claim it may, it may become a starter for one of the kids. Well, that is the poop as I know it for now. Anybody else have one of these to post a pic of? R.J.

Please excuse the photo quality. I just snapped them down in the reloading / store building. The lighting in there isn't too great.

Hawks Feather

R. J.

That is a pretty good looking rifle.  How about a picture when you finish it up?

Jerry

cb223

Thats a nice lookin shootin iron RJ
CHAD