• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

People are willing to pay

Started by Silencer, July 25, 2007, 07:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

This is a poll on another forum I belong to, and I'm surprised on how many are voting yes.  I'm the only one that voted no.

QuoteI would like to poll watrefowl hunters on who would willing give money to go for only trappers who seek preditors that disturb waterfowl nesting and consumption of waterowl only on breeding grounds. Do i get any amens, and if you will not,explain why, lets see how this goes....

Here's my explanation for the only no vote, so far its 8 yes 1 no.

I voted no because there's plenty of predator hunters out there, myself inculded, that will do it for free just to gain new ground.
I'm all for predator control, and believe it does and will help the breeding grounds, but why pay when someone with the same passion for predator as you do waterfowl will do it for free ?

FinsnFur

I'm not sure I understand the question.   :confused:
If that's a quote, the guy has no English skills at all.  :laf: His question could be almost anything  :shrug:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

Yea, thats a direct quote.  Most are saying yes, and they already do by contributing to Delta Waterfowl.  Does Delta Waterfowl hire us hitmen ?  I'll have to look into that.

DDCalls

I'm with you fins.  I was so confused after reading the quote that I had to take a break and digest it. :eyebrownod:

David

Bopeye

He does leave the question somewhat vague... :confused:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

RShaw

I would think that coons, possum, and skunks would be a lot harder on the ground nesting ducks and geese. That is when it comes to eating the eggs. Pretty tough to call any of those three in numbers, but a good trapper could really put the hurt on them in short order.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

Randy Roede

I believe something like this is already going on in ND, amazing results in nesting success. Delta is more for removing predators on existing property, and DU to putting it's money for habitat and acres. Both have their pros and cons. We actually had a similar program on a GPA here with one of our state trappers involved north of pierre. We also are very generous with live traps to farmers and ranchers who need one in the NE part of the state.

studabaka

I agree with Randy and can see why financial incentive might make sense.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Todd Rahm

The only difference I see, is trapping would be more effective for all around predators, and ya probably don't want allot of gun noise disturbing the nesting areas.  :confused:

But, at any rate I would vote "no" to because there's enough trappers that would do it for free and jump at the chance.

Silencer

Here's an update, 38-yes  15-no   
I dont know about the sceintific part of polls,  but they do and will pay.  Thanks for all the input !!

Coulter

I'll trap for free...just give 'em my number :biggrin: :biggrin:

Steve

Jrbhunter

I know a few Indiana trappers that have trapping contracts in Mississippi each fall.  They get a certain bonus per animal (possum/nutria/coon/beaver/ect) plus whatever the fur of said critters will bring.   Some of the locals are said to enjoy coon meat... so sometimes the carcass even has value. 

The ground they trap (and most ground that the waterfowlers lease) is so swampy there is no land trapping for k-9s involved.  A predator hunter would be useless, a coon hunter would never keep up.  Trapping is the only option.  Trapping that type of ground is rigerous work, so compensation is required to get guys in there and hit it hard.

Trappers love those waterfowl outfiitters... they hate small furry animals and they have plenty of cash to back it up.