• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Just sharing

Started by Hawks Feather, August 19, 2007, 12:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I thought I would share a call that I just finished up.  I bought some wood from Rick and in it was this piece of Spalted Maple.  Spalted Maple is usually fairly soft so I thought I would experiment with this piece.  I rough turned the body and then put it in a jar of Minwax wood hardener.  The piece bubbled for a short time, but was still floating.  Now for the rest of my experiment – I hooked up my Food Saver jar sealer and turned on the sealer.  The bubbles exploded out of the wood.  I left it sit about 10 minutes, popped the seal, and resealed the jar again.  After a couple of times the wood was on the bottom and there were only a few bubbles coming out.  This did not turn it into what I think of as a "stabilized" piece of wood, but it sure helped.  I then let it dry for a couple of days and then finished it off.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

DirtyDog

Yerry,

That is one fine piece of maple. You really did a fine job on that thing thing.  :yoyo: I like it.  :highclap:

ND

Todd Rahm

Looks sweet Jerry.  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: Got some nice dark lines a streak'n through it.

Where has Rick been anyway?

keekee

Looks real good Jerry! So how did the wood turn after the hardner was put on it? Did it help allot?

Brent

Brad H

Nice job. I love the vivid streaks that type of wood has. Sounds like a successful idea you came up with.

Brad

Bills Custom Calls

I like it Yerry   Good job  :thumb2:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

desert dog

Beautiful Yerry!!! 

Loren
www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

CypressSlough

Jerry that's an awesome piece of wood and turned into a great call. I love spalted wood. The wood hardener works pretty good especially on soft woods. Watch out for the really punky wood though. It will harden it just enough to tear out big chunks when you turn it. You can tell a pretty big difference in the way it turns and smells.

Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

iahntr

Very nice Jerry ! Sweet lookin call.  :highclap:
Scott

FinsnFur

That sounds like something, with the food saver air sucker thingy  :confused:  :roflmao:
Call turned out nice Jerry
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bob D

That's a fine looking call. I like it. Would you like to share it? :yoyo:
Bob

Hawks Feather

Bob,  My plan for this one is to be tossed on the dashboard of the truck so I can see how well it holds up and if there there are any problems. 

KeeKee, It turned better and sanded more difficultly than untreated soft maple.  It did sand down well, it finished fine, and it appears stronger than untreated soft maple.  I plan to do a little more lurking on the pen site and check out some of the chemicals that they are using.  I know that the Food Saver vacuum is not as strong as the commercial units used for stabilization, but it will be fun to play with.

Jerry

CypressSlough

Just be sure you keep the hardener used on darker woods separate from the hardener you use on lighter woods. If not, you'll end up staining the lighter woods a darker color. I have a nice piece of spalted pecan that has a gaudy orange hue to it now.

Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

bowjunkie

Brad thats a nice freakin call wow  :yoyo:

Brian spin that guady thing up ya know theres some suckers on here  :eyebrow:

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Yer,

You should do a picture series next time you stabilize a piece of wood.  I can picture it but would love to see the actual floating and sinking of a call in your lab.  Seriously I would. 

That call reminds me of a woman.  Big hips with a low flowing dress.  Much to pretty to let roll around on your dashboard.  But I can see the importance of a little test here and there.  Let us know how it comes out would ya!

Yoey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

Arkyyoter

Looks really pretty to me!!

Joe

GroundChuck

nice looking call thanks for sharing
There's nothing I can't do,I just haven't done it yet.