• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Red Vs. Green

Started by slagmaker, August 19, 2007, 05:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

OK gots a question.  :confused:

I have a scope mounted lightforce 170 with a red lens. I am thinking about getting me a 170 hand held so I will have something to scan with and dont have to try to scan with my rifle "Dangerous :shck:" or keep taking the light on and off the scope :sad:.

Now for the question. What lense should I get :shrug:? A red lens or a green lens? I will be using the light for mostly scanning for eyes and such. I kind of like the idea of having the 2 diffrent colors but can ya use them together like that. Does any one here have any experience with using a green light?

I would just get them both but my bonus from work already went towards something expensive and I was thinking about using the left over for a new lightforce.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Rich

If red and green are the only choices, I would go with the red. I would go with amber color if it was available.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

keekee

Never used a Green light. Red and Amber have always worked well for me. I like the amber better for Fox.

Brent

slagmaker

Never thought about the amber collered light. It is an option, so now I have soemthing more to think about...LOL

I will be mostly going after yotes but if a fox comes in to the call well he will be fair game as well. I might go with the red lens. Lets see what others have to say.

canine

I haven't done but a litlle night hunting the past couple years, mostly experimenting without a colored cover. I have called both fox and coyotes into shotgun range using just the white light. If, it was only once I'd call it luck but it has happened more than once and I haven't seen an animal spook from the white light either. My area has plenty of house lights in the distance, not sure if this is contributing to my success or not, just seems like any direction around here you look at night you'll see a light of somekind.

Amber and red would be my choice of colors, when using a cover.

1 fox and 1 coyote have came into a 15 million candlewatt light I won from this website too. Was just like daytime shooting. :biggrin:

JD

FinsnFur

I'd say red too. But the only night hunting I've done for Coyotes was with Randy Watson and Randy Buker down in Texas, and them boys knew the ropes.  :eyebrownod:

I've never even heard of a green filter for coyotes, so as stupid as I may sound....where did the idea even come from?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

browning204

will critters see green and amber light? I know they can't see red.

would green just blend into the vegitation if any??

interesting question.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

KillerCaller!

My night vision is not the greatest so I usually use a white light, held high. I have tried green, red, amber and blue but none of them show up as well, for me, as plain Jane white. A green LED at closer ranges works okay for me but red and amber covers were complete wash outs. I use a Green LED Streamlight, mainly in thicker cover.
Raccoons seem to bug out quicker on a white light than any of the fox or coyote I have encountered. Of course, a direct shot to the rods and cones with any color light is more than likely going to get them thinking twice. I have some footage of a couple coyotes trotting off after I shine them directly. They don't hit the afterburners that's for sure.
Mind you I am not using a Fillion CP light. I go with a mid-range handheld and sometimes just a match. :fingerx:

keekee

We used a Blue light some for coons here in the past. All my shooting at night is done in small open areas inside thick cover. I don't have many great big fields that I call at night, logging roads, cemetery's, small areas. So I use a large mag light with a red lens and I have a Amber cover I like when calling Grey fox in cover. This type of calling for me is shotgun mostly.

I have a light force light with a dimmer switch I use if calling a more open area. It has both a Red and Amber cover.

Brent

canine

Browning, It's not that they can't see the red, The red lens just filters down the harshness of the light beam.

Take a flashlight and watch your dogs reactions to it when you shine it around the room. Most dogs bark and chase it. Brents dog "rascal" chases the red dot from a laser pointer and keeps up with it at a fast pace too.

The lenses only are for filtering not becoming invisible.

JD

slagmaker

"I've never even heard of a green filter for coyotes, so as stupid as I may sound....where did the idea even come from?

Dont worry were used to heraring stupid stuff from ya.......................LOL

The green light is supposed to be for animals with light sensitive eyes. I have heard of people that are starting to use green lights but I dont know of any one personaly that has been using them.

At close to 25 bucks a pop I am wanting to make sure I get the best light filter for what I am gona be doing.

I am gona have to do some more research into the amber collered filters. It may be an option that I never thought of.

browning204

my dog (springer spaniel) can see all colors of light. My friends sheeba eenu<----whatever doesn't seem to see the laser or red light.

I thought maybe some breeds of K9's can or can't.

I want a light force so bad but don't do enough night hunting to make it worth the $$

I have a cheapo optronics that works ok. with a red lens

I can't imagine hunting in a Cemetery, that would get me arrested in a hurry I think.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

onecoyote

Well heck, I've been using red lights since maybe 64 and they work. Green lights are something folks made up from back east I think lol.

RShaw

Yep. I agree with Danny.  Stick with the red lens. Keep the light high and the eyes in the halo. Even doing that you are still going to get some angling coyotes from time to time.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

slagmaker

That is the exeact reason I want to get the hand held light. so I can keep it on flood and have the light on the scope set to a tighter beam. TOOOOO many times I have had mister yote come in form an angle that I didnt have covered so I am trying to help eliminate that. The light force is so much lighter and I can use it with the battery pack that I have.

Jrbhunter

I'd use red, amber will work well on fox but lacks on coyote.   I only use blue on foggy night coon hunts.  You might look into getting a handheld spotlight like those used by coonhunters- you can get red lenses for those and they will run off 12 volt just like a LightForce and work through a rheostat.  Knock the plug ends off the lightforce, coonlight and battery pack- install flat plugs accordingly- and you'll be ready to rock with interchangable lights.   Strap on an extra battery and you'll have access to both simultaneously.   Just what you need for these hills in February- another battery strapped to ya.   :laf:

slagmaker

Just what you need for these hills in February- another battery strapped to ya.   

Anything to help keep me warm................LOL

slagmaker

OK I made my decesion.

Striker 170 hand held corded with a red lens.

Decided to go with the red after doing all the reading and research. BUT I did find out that as everyone said Amber for fox and red for yote. and sense I will be going after yotes the most that was wht made me make my final decesion.

I may just go ahead and get me a green lens next year just to try it out and see how it works.

slagmaker

Well my spot light is here and I have taken it out to see how the lightforce striker170 works in the field.

VERY impressed. lite weight and clear white light without the lens and with the red lens on it still reaches out to 200+yards easy and I can light up a county road marker that was better than a half mile away. Cant wait to actually use it in a hunting situation.

KySongDog

A green light is used by the military to protect a soldier's night vision.  Don't know how it would work on coyotes though.  I've always heard that red is the color of choice for night hunting animals.  Except I use a plain old white light for frog giggin.  :biggrin: