• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cougar Story!

Started by rainshadow1, December 31, 2007, 07:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainshadow1

Damage report: Lots of guys are anticipating using the 60gr V-Max in 223. When this cat ran away, I was kinda miffed at all the "thin skinned" comments I had researched. Made me wish I had my 7-30 Waters on this hunt. But after the skinning, I'm pretty durn happy with the 223 for Cougar.

The first shot plowed a furrow thru the whiskers, skipped off the jaw, and hit the shoulder blade, hard, shattering it to pieces. Fragments of this bullet made it all the way back to the opposite hip! It was off. About an inch or 1 1/4", on a tiny target (nose), so it was shooter error, but it was a lethal hit.

When I caught the cat, it was alive, but fading fast. The second hit was well placed, quartering forward, heart lung. Tiny entry, no exit, massive damage inside the boiler room.

Both shots were roughly 50 yards.

I still don't want to punch any brush with the 223, but the terminal performance was impressive.

Todd Rahm

Holy smokers thats cool as sheeeeeeeeeeeeet. I agree with Jerry on the magazine article...........felt like I was reading one with nce pics.  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I bet ya was jazzed, heck ya probably still are.  :biggrin:

Bob D

Congratulations and thank you for the story and the pictures.

Frogman

Wow!  Great story and pics.  There are some really literate people on this site that can tell a good story with words.  Nice!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Omega47

Thanks for the story and the photos.  Really made my day.  Congrats  :biggrin: