• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lure Help

Started by DirtyDog, January 04, 2008, 05:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDog

Well.....I am almost ready to get my first sets out there. So now comes the lure questions.

I am pretty new at this, and have gotten a lot of help from Brent (thanks by the way) and am only going to be setting out 3 traps (8 tops, but not including the snares) because thats all I have. What lure might work best with a dirthole set that will get me coyotes fox and bobcats and help maybe to avoid coons and such. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I also will be putting out a few coon sets, but am not sure if I should use a dirthole for them also. I have heard to just use sardines on them. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks
DD

keekee

There is allot of good lure out there. But most of them will draw coons even to dirt holes.  Here is a list of several I keep in the bucket all the time:

Pros's Choice
Canine Call
Miranda's Farm land fox
Lenons Super fox all call
Gusto's

These have done real well for me, I just started using the Lenons fox lure and Beaver Castor lure and both have done a real fine job I will be buying more lures from Lenons to try. The other I have ran for years and have never let me down. Just good solid lures and well proved.

For Coons and Mink fresh fish is good but if your going to buy bait just pick up some cans of Jack Mack rel. Add a small amount in the back of the pocket or hole and a shot of shell fish oil and your good to go.

Cats im not much help on, what little bit of cat trapping I have done I used a Cat glad lure, and urine. The cat glad lure works well for Fox and Coyotes as well.

If you got with a meat bait to add to your lure. I do this when its real cold. I use rabbit based or mice based bait and another I wont list, hair and all. I make this bait myself. I will be happy to send you some down to try if you would like. I mix several other things with my meat based baits to add to them.

For cats Beaver meat is good and muskrat is real good for Mink. ( I have allot of beaver meat here as well if you want some )

Brent

studabaka

( I have allot of beaver meat here as well if you want some ) I ain't touching that  :roflmao:

Brent gave ya more than enough choices...... but do this for me....... Find two locations you think are good for fox/yote [corner of a field, farm road, trail, etc] along the area your going to trap. In one of them make a dirt hole set as you think it should be made based on what you know now, but don't put any bait, lure, OR trap in it. Make the second the same way except add the trap. Check both these each day along with the rest of your sets and note any activity..... what the critter did, where it stepped, and if you can tell, what direction it entered your set from.

Post what you find

:biggrin: Welcome to the chess game of trapping  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

DirtyDog

Thanks fellas......I knew I could count on ya.

Stu.....I am really curious about the empty set, and I am going to try it and let ya know what I find.

FinsnFur

cat glad  :confused:
Cat gland?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

You never heard of Cat Glad Lure Jim? .... There is a cheaper knock off version called Happy Cat  :nono:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com