• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

AR Questions

Started by OKTrap, February 07, 2008, 06:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OKTrap

I am looking to buy an AR in the .223 or .204. I am thinking about going with Rock River Arms. The questions I have are as follows:

I am familiar with the M-16 from my military days ... so here goes:

• Flat top receiver or standard?
  • 16", 18", 20", or 24" barrel length?
  • Standard Grip or Ergo Grip?
  • Standard or Chrome Lined Barrel?
  • Type of Mag Catch?
  • Type of Charging Handle?
  • Type of Stock & Handguard?
  • Tactical scope or Hunting scope?
I am looking to get into something for calling. Any help would be appreciated.

OKTrap

I might have found one. If he still has it this weekend, I am going to go shoot it before I buy it.  Thank yall for your help.

cb223

This is what I have come to like in an AR for coyote type hunting.

* Flat top receiver or standard?    Flat top

* 16", 18", 20", or 24" barrel length?   16" lighter on the downside it is louder

* Standard Grip or Ergo Grip?           Ergo, it positions your hand better for  better trigger control

* Standard or Chrome Lined Barrel?     standard, usually more accurate

* Type of Mag Catch?               standard, I had an extended on it hooked on my coat.

* Type of Charging Handle?      with a scope go with the extended

* Type of Stock & Handguard?   any free floating hand guard that you like the looks of, adjustable stock, you can adjust length for layers of clothes

* Tactical scope or Hunting scope?   lower power variable. In open terrain you might want higher power. In most of my area 100 yards is about max
CHAD

securpro

I'm with cb223 also, I do like the skeleton though for comfort even though I am perfectly happy with my 6 position. The whole gun can be built to suit each persons different preferences and changed at any time. I like the Rock River CAR-A4, to me it is the perfect base model for anything I might want to change it into..... if that makes any sense.... :eyebrownod:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

bushmaster

I just purchased a Rock River in 6.8SPC and let me say that the trigger beats the hell out of my bushmaster.  It is MUCH smoother my bushmaster was a flat top and my Rock River is an A2.  If you get an A2, you will probably want some sort of elevation on the stock.  I also have a collapsable stock which is really nice to suit how much clothing you are wearing. BUT, It tends to make a little noise.  Even on a sneeky draw.  I prefer the 16" barrel due to the fat that i hunt in very thick terrain and it is easy to manuever in thickets and such.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

CCP

Let us know how that AR shoots this weekend. I agree with cb223 on everything except the flat top. I think the scope on a flat top looks way cooler but I like the carry handle when walking through thick brush or when I am tired of it on my shoulder. Of course with the flat top you can always install a removable one. :biggrin:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Kuipdog

cb223 put everything right in his response. He described my Rock River to T. I bought mine for calling coyotes and I love it. The trigger is fantastic and the accuracy is downright scary!!! You won't go wrong with an RRA. As for the .204, I like the knockdown power of a .223 over the .204, but if you want accuracy, distance and knockdown go for the 6.8 spc.