• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How to set up with a buddy?

Started by Frogman, January 15, 2008, 11:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

When you set up with a buddy do you set up back to back or do you put some distance between you?  Does one take a shotgun and the other a rifle?  How do you communicate?  Do you prefer two hunters, or more.  wv_yoter and I have experimented with different setups, but I don't know if we are on the right track or not.   :wo:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jimmie in Ky

That's a hard one Frogman. It all depends on a particular setup and how it lays out. I try to position myself and the partner in such a way we can see all aproaches to the setup.  I call and position my shooter or shooters on the most likely aproaches or the best visability ,to the area. I put myself in a position to see what is going on with the other shooter. That way I can do what needs to be done if the animal hangs up or they can't get the shot. I whislte a bird call to signal the end of the setup.

If I am working with someone that knows the game as well as I do then it's diferent. We get clean out of each others sight and looking over the best aproaches. One of us will be watching the downwind as well, Often we take turns watching th downwind. Who will call is also by taking turns. Either of us will work whatever animal we see with lip squeaks, if nescescary,  to get the shot.

If you hunt with a regular partner you two can work out your own signals. One commonly used when an animal is aproaching is the lip squeak. Weapons are also something that is a personal thing. Some are very comfortable in heavy cover with a rifle and use it very well.  Jimmie

HaMeR

The latest issue of Predator Extreme has a good article in it on this subject.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Hey HaMer,
     My PX magazine just came.  You are right that was a very helpful article.  We have some very difficult terrain and conditions in which we hunt here.  Some of those tips might prove useful.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Depending on the terrian and wind, my partner and I like to set either back to back, or parallel in a cross wind. One up wind and the other down, with an e-caller in between us.

As far as communicating, I've hunted with the guy for so long that there really is none. Body language pretty much reveals everything.
If he's slowly raising his shooting hand to his rifle which is on the pod...he see's one coming
If he continuously stares at one spot, he thinks he sees something.
If he's picking his nose, he has no confidence in our set up and is bored.
If he quickly spins his head to one side, he was just surprised by a quick approacher.
If he's scanning with his scope, he's getting ready to get up and leave.
If he's concentrating on a particular spot through the scope, he sees something and is waiting for a shot.
If he's looking past me with any concern, I'm getting back doored
If he starts lip squeeking he's trying to lure a hanger.

:shrug:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com