• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Bad day workin', good day huntin'

Started by Kytimberman, January 26, 2008, 12:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytimberman

Went to look at a tract of timber a fella had called me about, a good ways from home, but ya gotta go look.  Got outa the truck and he says "you gotta gun with ya?"  I told him of course, I coyote hunt, why?  He says "there's some bad dogs next door, you might want to pack it".  I said sure, and why don't I pack these calls, too, might do some callin' while I'm here.  "Go right ahead, he says, I see coyote sign around here a lot".   Well, it didn't take too long to see he didn't have any timber worth lookin' at, so I skirted around the tract to get to the upwind side and find a spot to call from.  It was almost noon.  Noticed a timbered drainage running up into a neighbor's crop field, which looked like a likely travel lane, and the wind was blowin maybe 20 degrees off the drainage out into the field.  Right in the corner was a hump with a big stump on it, all grown up in vines, so I nestled up in that as best I could.  Hit my Kee's howler a couple of times, waited a few minutes, and then hit the Cronk's "Killer" call with some coyote distress, loud and obnoxious,  what I call Jimmie's "magic" sound.  After the second round of that a big red female comes streakin' up the drainage, and stops behind a big tree when I shoulder the Savage .223.  Lip squeak at her and she steps out from behind the tree, lookin' right at me, "too late, honey", POW, she bunches up and takes off the way she came.  Big splash of blood where I hit her and a good blood trail, shot through the heart and lungs and she still ran close to 40 yds and piled up on the ice in the drainage.  Full grown female, 3-4 year old, I'd guess.

Jimmie in Ky

I figured the Concord area would be a bust. It's too much like the LBL in there. Tough area to work. Either that or the fella had way to much timber to look at in 3 hours  :biggrin: Jimmie

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Sounds like you enjoyed every bit of it.
Nice job.

Let's hear some more on Jimmies "magic" sound  :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

wv_yoter

Jason

keekee

Nice Coyote Kytimberman! Good to see ya again as well! Hope you been doing good!

Brent

Kytimberman

I'll put it this way, Jim- first time I heard him do it, I thought "what the H*LL is that, does this guy know what he's doin?"  Then I looked up and three coyotes were streakin' straight at us, and I thought "well, shut my mouth!"  Sounds kinda like you shut the pickup door on your dog's tail, and went in the house.
Hey, Kee, yeah, still kickin, still got some wood for ya, too.  Will bring it to LBL, slowest delivery in history!

Hawks Feather

Sounds like the timber was a bust, but looks like the shooting was pretty good.

Jerry

Jimmie in Ky

I had already been using that sound for a year before we met Timberman  :eyebrownod:

If you remember, you all laughed at me last year when I tested a call. That sound is deadly as hell , believe it or not  :wink: Jimmie