• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

dealing with getting busted

Started by Troy Walter, January 29, 2008, 10:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy Walter

Ok guy I have a place I hunt and it not that large of a piece of land but here is the problem,late last year I called in a coyote and came in on me in a direction I was not expecting and I never got a shot but scared the crap out of him.Was back scouting this year and there is alot of sign.But I can't get the coyote to come to the call no more.I have only call this farm twice this year once in Oct and then again in Jan.I am the only one that hunts this farm so I know it is not getting hunted other then me.I have called from different places, different times ,different sounds,and nothing anybody got any tricks for next year for this place.

THO Game Calls

Lots of sign, but do you know when it is being left?  How fresh is it?   

If you have a lot of fresh sign, I would get up in a tree stand and either not call at all or call very quietly with a rodent or bird distress.  Something they may not have heard before.  I would not call a lot either.  Give your stand a good long while.   Curiosity might jut get the better of them.

I really like tree stands here in the North East for those hard to get coyotes that seem to not want to commit.  You can see a lot farther and your scent is off the ground.  Pluss you keep movement to a minimum.  Also, when you are up there, things look a lot different from when you are on the ground.  You can sometimes see trails that you mght not have ever seen from a ground stand, and you can see edge cover better.   

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Troy Walter

Thanks Al,yes the sign is fresh.I have never tried a tree stand out there.I will give rodent distress a try next time. Don't know if I will make it back there this year. But I need to try something differant and that sound like it might work.I turkey hunted out there last spring with high hope of calling in this big tom I have been seeing and guess what showed up fast.

iahntr

"dealing with getting busted"
Sheesh Troy, I read that, and wasn't sure if ya needed help coping with your house gettin raided, or ya gettin pulled over, or what.  :shck:  :doh2:  :roflmao:
Then I saw it was in the predator hunting section.
Sorry, back on topic.
As always, good advice from  Al. One other thing, not sure if ya just used distress sounds, but ya might try to hit em with different coyote vocals. Maybe a little sweet serenade, or a little challenge, or some pup cries could do it.  :shrug: Might be worth a shot.   Scott
Scott

FinsnFur

Yeah I was gonna say it's getting to be the time their looking for some nooky, more so then hunting prey. Vocalizations might be a good alternative.

Al's got a good plan with the tree stand...Id surely give it a shot  :eyebrownod:

Another thing you most likely over looked, if you not real good at, or comfortable with vocalizations is your Turkey sounds... :eyebrownod:   they work
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Troy Walter

Scott, Don't say that I have had some bad luck the last two days,Sunday I slid into the gate at my driveway not good and today I backed up into the basketball hoop also not good.I know my house won't get raided but if I get a ticket I am sending it to you buddy.Anyways I tried some coyote sounds no luck would like to try turkey distress but I don't have a e-call a friend I hunt with has one but it don't have turkey distress but it does have rodent distress.And I am to cheap to go buy one.

FinsnFur

How hard is it to change the sounds on it? What kind of caller is it
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Dang man sorry about your streak of "luck",   :nono:  but don't be sendin no ticket my way. I put on about 1,000 to 1,300 miles a week, I just got one a month ago, and now I'll be drivin with the cruise control on for another year.  :madd:  :laf:
Just stick your diaphragm in and do some lonesome yelps, kee kee runs, and some cuttin.  :biggrin: :thumb2:
Scott

Troy Walter

Jim ,it a fox pro but is not mine so I don't think he would change sounds just for me.Scott, I thought about that might give that a try what could it hurt.

keekee

QuoteI turkey hunted out there last spring with high hope of calling in this big tom I have been seeing and guess what showed up fast.

As soon as the Turkeys start gobbling then this is were I would be and set up! Allot of people over look this in the spring time. The Coyotes know what time of year it is and were the food is! :eyebrownod:

Brent

Troy Walter

Brent I will give it a shot when the birds start gobbling, this could work.thanks