• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First cow horn howler

Started by Tjones, May 07, 2008, 12:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjones

Well I finally finished a cow horn howler, for my first I am happy with the way it came out. I sure learned a few things, like drill bits catch horn like nothing I have ever seen, ya best be ready! Also the horns a pretty tough, my survived a healthy heave across my shop and a hard bounce of the back wall, when said drill bit caught at the wrong time

I think my lanyard loop groove should have been wider, and deeper, also I should have drilled my holes first, I did all the sanding first and when the bit caught I thought I ruined the horn and was out all the sanding effort, the finish needs a little work to, but I learned there also

any advice would be appreacited
A tracker who hopes to read all the track offers must be astute during discovery and reasonable during interpretation.  Gerry Blair

Hawks Feather

Nice call and you definitely improved the looks of that horn.  I like the shell heads for the lanyard and also agree with you that you might want to make the next one deeper.

Jerry

coyote101

I'm looking with an untrained eye, but it sure looks good to me.  :yoyo: I really like the case heads..... nice touch.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Troy Walter

Carolina Coyote

Creasy, You have a lot of  inovation between those ears and it really shines, good job on the horn and keep posting. CC  :highclap:

FinsnFur

The progression pics are just too cool for Bible School! :yoyo:

Awesome job especially considering it your first. I'm with these guys, the shells casings was a beautiful idea. Now pray to hell Tebbe dont see it  :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

I've found that when I drill a horn, I only go so far as to break through with the bit.  When I see a small oepneing at the end of the hole, I stop drilling and use either a file or a dremmel tool to finish up.   Then I use a reamer - a drill bit will work too - in a pair of vise grips to finsih the hole up by hand. 

If you use a drill press, you can also loosen the belts so they will slip instead of catch the horn. 

If you dont have a buffing system, get a buffing pad for a hand drill and use some rubbing compound followed by some polishing compound to buff it out by hand.  Finish up with some scratch remover and the horn should glow.

It came out nice though.   You did a find job.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Tjones

One of my first mistakes  was I drilled the small hole for the rivet body to go through the horn first, then I need to counter sink the head of the rivet so it would set flush on the horn, well the bigger bit I was using to counter sink the head of the rivet cought the smaller hole, which worked as a pilot hole for the bigger bit,, I should have known it would work that way, not sure what I was thinking.

Next time I think I will try Als idea, maybe use a brad tip bit and stop when the tip goes through, and finish up with a dremel. I miked the head of the case then drilled the exact same size, next time I will go a tad bit under size and finish the hole with a chain saw sharpening file since they are round i think it should work. 

I used a VS grinder with a polishing wheel an triopoli to polish it before shooting on the finish, the second pic was when I finished up with 80 grit and a belt sander, I went 80, 100, 110, 150, 180, 220, 400, then the buffing wheel, all with a palm sander, then the 400 by hand, I want to get some finer compound for my buffing wheel,,,

dang I no sooner finish one and I want to get started on the next one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ideas lots of ideas floating around in my head
A tracker who hopes to read all the track offers must be astute during discovery and reasonable during interpretation.  Gerry Blair

Brad H

Looks like you've got a good feel for this stuff already. The palm sander is my #1 tool. My bench grinder takes care of all my rough work and I'm still partial to my Dremel even for bigger horns.

This is definately addicting when you enjoy doing it. And that's a fine looking first howler.

Judging by your first one I suspect you'll be showing us some top notch work real soon.

Brad

Tjones

I am going to tell my wife you boys said its ok to drop all the honey do's and move on to another call :innocentwhistle:

I have a long way to go to get to your quality Brad, but I do enjoy it,,,heck it didn't even smell to bad!