• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

questions for you Lathe turners

Started by LORDDAL, April 24, 2008, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LORDDAL

Ok so with all the awesome work I have seen from you guys I am looking into buying a lathe and learnin how to make calls myself. So my question is what all tools will I need to buy with my lathe gouges chucks you name it I have no idea at all what I am going to need let alone what I am getting in to but I figured if I was going to have a hobby other than hunting and fishing why not have one that I can make a little extra $$$ on the side

and where do you get call supplys toneboards and such

any and all help is greatly appreciated and if any call makers are in WV and wouldnt mind showin a new guy the ropes I sure would appreciate it thanks again guys
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

HaMeR

Go to "Call Creation Howtos" here & read Al's tutorials. That will get you set up on the call making part. You will need a 1/2" skew, 3/8" or 1/4"  gouge, 1/2" gouge, & a parting tool to get started. At least thats how I started. Chucks are something I know nothing about. A lot of turners use pen mandrels too.

HTH

Can't wait to see your 1st creations!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

THO Game Calls

Think 1/2" in your tool sellection.   Skew, Round Nose Scraper, Spindle Gouge (there are also bowl gouges but get a spindle gouge) and a parting tool.  The dymond point parting tools  in 1/8" are popular but I think you can do more with one of the thiner ones in 1/16" size.  They are good for making O ring grooves and lanyard grooves.  The tool sets for making pens are often 1/2" but they are a little light for what we do.  I think you will be happeir with full size tools. 

When you buy tools, there is no need to spend a fortune on them at the start.  Get a good set of inexpensive tooks to start with.  As you learn to sharpen your tooks, it is pretty easy to take a 7 inch skew and make it a 3 inch skew in just a month or so.  It hurts a lot less when you do that with a 20 buck tool instead of a 60 buck one.  As you learn to sharpen, and what tools you use the most and are most comfortable with, get good ones of those.  There is a difference in expensive tools over cheaper ones, and once you know what you use, and can sharpen them, you will find it more enjoyable to turn with good tools.  If you can find it, Jet sellls a set of tool for around 120 bucks that is very good.  The tools are made by Oneway and are good quality for the money.  The only down side to the set is you will need to get a parting tool as the one that comes with it is 1/4" and way too big for call making.

Sears also used to have Craftsman toos for around 20 bucks each that are nice servicable tools. 

You might also want a bit lager roughing out gouge for taking stock to round.  3/4 to 1"

If you are going to drill on the lathe, two choices.  MT 2 drill bits which fit right in your tail stock (my favorites now) or a Jacobs Chuck. ( just like the chuck in  your drill press but with a MT 2 to fit in the tail stock.  ENCO is a good source for MT 2 drill bits.

Mandrals to hold your calls while spining.  There are pen mandrals and then there are call making mandrels.  The pen ones run about 20 bucks the call making ones can set you back 150 or so.  HUT has a mandral system.  People are so so on liiking it but you may find it useful.  I have never used one.  I should be set up to make mandrals this summer so you can check my site for call mandrals in the 50  to 60 buck range.

Small self centering chuck.  Many available.  Oneway Tallon is mid priced and works well.   Pen State has the Baracuda which folks seem to like.   Don't get the titanium finish as it does nothing for the chuck and may actually be bad for your turning as the bright finish reflects light and causes glare which can make it hard to see what you are doing.  The standard finish will be fine.  CraftsuppliesUSA has a very nice selection and they are great people to deal with.  Excellent customer service.  Nova and some others are good.  This is the one place I would not skimp.  You really need a chuck and a good one will set you back almost as much as a lathe.

When you buy your chuck, get a set of STEP jaws.  Not PIN Jaws, which they will tell you are the same but are not.  Step Jaws will be the most valuable tool you buy for call turning.  You can do ANYTHING with a good set of step jaws and they run about 30 bucks.

Check out this tutorial from my site and you will see what I am talking about with chucks and step jaws.

http://www.thogamecalls.com/PDF%20Tutorials/Step%20Jaws.pdf

Fave shield and dust mask if you value your good looks and health.  The gogles that come with your lathe will protect your eyes but the first time you catch a blank with your nose you will get a face shield.  20 bucks at home depot.

A very good place to start, I think, is my web site www.thogamecalls.com

There are several tutorials there that cover more tha just perdator calls.  I also have a pretty good selection of supplies, reed kits, and other stuff.

Check out the forums there, and go down to the Call Makers Man Cave section.  Guys have posted pictures of their shops and you can get some good ideas of what you will need and what others are using just by looking around. 

Visit the other call making boards.  Custom Calls On Line is one.  You will get to see some great looking calls and there is a bit of sharing of technique and how too there also.

Search the web for the Bennet Collection of duck calls for some ideas and inspiration.  Also go to Callmakers and Collectors Association of America and look at some of the calls entered over the last few years in the Fancy Call Contest.  You will again get some ideas of what is out there and what is possable when you put your mind to it.

Pick up a copy of Predator Calls The first 50 Years by By Jay Nistetter & Al Lux, again for ideas and to see what others have done.

Turning Custom Duck and Game Calls is a so so book about 20 bucks by Ed Glenn  and Greg Keats.   Keats is a call maker.  Ed is a great wood worker turned call maker.  They cover some basics and it is worth the 20 bucks.   Ed hangs out on Custom Calls on Line in the Duck Call section and goes by Wildcaller.   He might even autograph a copy for you  :)

After you get your tools and your lathe and get all set up to turn calls, if I could make one suggestion, it would be to visit as many of the call making and wood turning sites as you can.  Read, look and explore what other people are doing in all areas.   From wood finishing to design to tools.   Often times a guy wants to be a call maker and gets set up and then never looks around to see what else is out there.  This is one reason why you see so much duplication of design and hear stupid stuff like There are only so many ways to turn a piece of wood. 

And last, ask for help or assistance.  There are poeple out there that will share with you.   A good many of them are right on this board.   If your interest are other calls. duck turkey elk or whatever, visit my board.   I dont know squat about making duck calls but the guys there do and they will help.   Same with the turkey and other calls.

And if you ever want to learn to turn pens, go find Hammer.  His stuff is simply beautiful and the work of a master craftsman when it comes to pens. 

If I can be of any help, shoot me an e mail at Al@THOGameCalls.com

Good Turning

Al

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

armyturner

Al pretty much covered it. I would also add to his list a slow speed grinder and a sharpening jig (Wolverine Jig). As you become more experienced you may sharpen your tools without a jig, but until you learn how it would be beneficial to have one. For a set of cheaper turning tools, I would recommend the set of high speed steel tools that Harbor Freight sells. It is what I started with, and though I have a few better tools I still use a few of them on a daily basis. They are only about $50 for an 8 piece set. When you buy a chuck, buy a name brand one. Oneway, Nova, Psi are a few. If you buy an off brand chuck you may not be able to find the different jaws that you may need or want down the road.

LORDDAL

Thanks for all the info guys I have already been doing all the looking around I can and have gone over most of the tutorials on your page Al they are great and Armyturner thanks for the advice on the jig and grinder I am limited to space though and only had plans to get a table drillpress and my lathe could I use the sharpening Jig with a dremel tool cause thats about the total of my tools my shop is also my reloading table and its right smack dab in my living room cause I rent right now but once I can find the right place and my wife and I can buy then I will set me up a real nice big shop I hope I have found some nice tool sets on a few different sites running anywhere from 30 to 130 and figured I would start out with a durable cheaper set I am still getting over the fact that I a guy who couldnt even build a gun rack have decided I want to get into making calls but hey everyone has to have a hobby for when they cant be huntin or fishin right  :yoyo:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Braz

I would also suggest you contact your local Woodcraft store to see about taking some turning lessons. Consider looking at the local high school and college for adult classes, or sign up for a woodworking class at the school. It will be time well spent. Also, check out the American Association of Woodturners. They may have a chapter in your area and you can find somebody that will be a mentor.
Braz

LORDDAL

thanks for the sugestion alpenliter but unfortunately theres nothing close by to me I am kind of in the middle of nowhere our high school doesnt have much in the way of woodworking anymore the teacher quite and he was usually to drunk to teach anything about the only thing they do around here wood wise is box building and basket making stuff any other woodworking classes near by are just not affordable with cost and gas but I do appreciate the sugestion

alscalls

Try calling woodcraft in Parkersburg and see if they have anyone in mind for you.  :shrug: Worth a shot :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

THO Game Calls

Here is a link that has some good turing info on it.

http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

and another  check out the on line videos

http://www.turnwood.net/videos.html

both of these sites have on line videos that will help with basic techniques.  On the first one, the wood turning stuff is under AAW in the menu bar over the video screen

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

LORDDAL

Ok I am looking at a turncrafter pro midi lathe does anyone use one of these are they any good it says 5 speeds I guess sped change is done by the belt placement on the drive they have a variable speed one to but for that price I may as well go with a jet or would the turncrafter plus that run arounf $140 be a good starter lathe just lookin at a few any thing in particular I should be watching out for in the lathe thanks for all the help so far guys