• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

22-50

Started by codfish, December 12, 2006, 03:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codfish

can someone tell me if a 22-250 will burn out it's barrell faster than a 223 If so how would you have to be shooting the 22-250 to burn it out

Hawks Feather

I will try to give you the simple answer.  If you want a  more in depth explanation, I can try to give you that if this doesn't cover it.

There is more powder used in the 22-250 than there is in the 223 ammo.  This accounts for the fact that the 22-250 bullet will be traveling down the inside of the barrel at a faster speed and also will have hotter gases due to the extra powder.  That is the simple end of it.

Now as for burning out a barrel, unless you are reloading some really hot loads or plan on shooting several thousand factory bullets, you won't have to worry about needing to replace the barrel.  At the same time, if you are shooting prairie dogs at a rapid rate and not allowing your barrel to cool at all, you can burn out either barrel.

Jerry

fuzz624

Yes,the 22-250 will burn out a barrel faster than the 223 because of the reasons hawk already spoke about.If you are just hunting and not shooting a thousand rounds a year,the 22-250 will last a long time.Just remember that when target shooting,let the barrel cool after a few shots.This is the price you pay for more speed and flatter trajectory.