• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Black Walnut Howler

Started by John_NY, June 20, 2008, 07:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_NY

I like the longer howlers too. I think they are louder. Atleast they seem like it to me.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

ohioyotehntr

I know this might be a stupid question,but I'm at least good at that. :confused: I like the mandrels. What keeps the blank from spinning on the mandrel. Is the piece of welding rod just to keep pressure on the blank? If this is "trade secrets" then thats fine. If it was a piece of half moon keyway stock, wouldn't it keep the blank a little more secure while turning?
Thanks,
Dusty
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

alscalls

Quote from: ohioyotehntr on June 22, 2008, 03:37:02 PM
I know this might be a stupid question,but I'm at least good at that. :confused: I like the mandrels. What keeps the blank from spinning on the mandrel. Is the piece of welding rod just to keep pressure on the blank? If this is "trade secrets" then thats fine. If it was a piece of half moon keyway stock, wouldn't it keep the blank a little more secure while turning?
Thanks,
Dusty
AL from THO gave me this and it helped me........
http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/tool_htm/tool_pls.htm
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

John_NY

thanks for the link. I was going to try and explain what I really know nothing about. the link explains it all. When you are done the piece comes back off the mandrel real easy. It still amazes me everytime I take a call off the mandrel. You could always do what I do. don't think about it. In my case thinking hurts.  :shrug:

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

ohioyotehntr

Thanks for the info. I spoke to Jerry(HawksFeather) tonight on the phone. He told me about how they work. Thats a pretty slick little tool. I may have to check into making one of those.
Dusty "Dirt" Ford
Dirt's Custom Calls

alscalls

Ok, I am making one, and I am not sue how far from the end to start my flat spot and how long to make the flt spot.
Any suggestions? :shrug: :confused:
AL

John_NY

y mdrel is about an inch and a half from the end to the notch. The notch is about another inch and a half the about another inch and half. There is about an inch or so inside the collet. So it is about It's about five and a half to six inches total. But most of my howlers are between 6 and 7 inches long so the short mandrel gives me lots of room to hollow out the ends.
John

alscalls

Thanks John, You have helped me more than you know and I do apreashiate it. :wink:
AL

John_NY

Thank you Al. I'm glad I could help. I'm pretty new to all this so it's nice to know I could help atleast in some small way. I have been helped so much by so many it feels good to try and help back a little.

John

tipmover

John_NY

You made me stop and think a minute myself AlsCalls. I have only been turning calls for a couple months. I have been making calls from antlers for almost a year and I had alot of help. Kerry Carver has been a great help from day one. Then I met Al @ THO and he has been a great guy and alot of help to me also. I feel very fortunate for finding these forums around the internet. If not for all the call maker sites I never would have given it a try. So to those guys I owe alot. I have learned alot from most everyone who posts on these forums. I try reading as much as I can before I join up. It's been quite a learning experience and alot of fun and met alot of nice people.

Thanks everyone
John