• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I have been Busy turning pots

Started by blacky, July 13, 2008, 10:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacky

I have been busy turning pots for friction calls and would like your opinion on these. There are 11 in this picture and I have 6 more that the finish is still drying.

The Ambrosia Maple Pot(Center Top) is sold to a young man and it has his picture in it with his first turkey. The striker goes with that call.

Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

Coulter

Okay you twisted my arm Blacky...here is some honest feedback for you. I don't normally critique other callmakers calls, there are other guys on here that know a lot more than I do about callmaking, but I will give ya my 2 cents worth anyway. I don't do it very often so take it for what it is worth.

It is hard to tell if the slate/glass is seated properly. Even with a pic this is sometimes hard to tell. The only way to really check this is to have the call in hand. I will assume you have found the sweet spot when you turn the ledge and pedestal for the soundboard and surface and that the soundboard is the correct distance from the surface to achieve optimum sound.

The woods all look great. It is hard to tell from the pics how well they are finished, so I can't really comment on the finish. It is very difficult to show the finish in a pic of a call by itself, it is even more difficult when you have 11 calls to contend with in the same pic.

I suppose my only advise would be to get more creative with the pot design. Looking at your strikers and some of the strikers you've posted in the past, we know you have some creativity in ya. Don't let it stop when you turn your pots...just don't turn them like I turn mine :biggrin: :biggrin:

Now get back to turnin' :yoyo:

Steve

blacky

Steve,
The only pot in that picture that has been assembled is the Ambrosia Maple for the young man. I have turned enough pots to know how to properly seat the sound board and the calling surface. I have had great compliments on how good the calls sound with very few complaints. If I do get a complaint, I will make that person another call to see that he is satisfied.

I agree that I need to be more creative with my pot turning and have ventured in that direction a little bit. I still don't have the confidence in myself quite yet. I have learned that good tools make a world of difference. I am using HSS tools from Harbor Freight and recently purchased a spindle gouge made by Sorby. There is a big difference in the Sorby tool than the others I have used and will continue purchasing more of them as I can afford them.

Please don't misconstrue my opening statement here as being from a smartass. I have been in the turkey call business for almost 30 years and do know a little about that. I am learning about the turning business.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your opinion because I asked for it. Thank you.  Gene
Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

THO Game Calls

Here's what I think.

You have a classic standard design with a nice standard classic hole pattern that makes for a call that is a hunting call, but yet is a step up from a standard hunting call.

Anyone seeing those calls will know right away that they are custom calls, not something you by at walmart.

I like classic designed calls.   Traditional shapes and styles seem to fit my taste better.  But I also like nice wood.   Those calls are both to me. 

I've seen some beautifully turned pot calls over on CCO, and while they are very nice, give me a traditional call any day of the week. 

The point is, people like different things.   What is important I think, is that YOU enjoy what you are doing and in the end are proud to put your name on a call that you make.  Some people will look at them and go "ah, same old same old" and some people will look at them and their wallet will be flying out of their pocket to buy one.

What sells a call many times is not the fancy turnings or the shape, but it is the pride the new owner can feel you put into the call when you made it.   Believe me, it's there.  I have some calls that have no "life" in them.  You can tell they were turned to make a buck.  Then I have some others where you can just tell the call maker went to a lot of effort to really do things right.  Those calls have a different feel.  They make you feel confident in the woods.   

It dont have to be fancy to sell.  But it does have to be the best work you are capable of at the time you made the call.  The guy who does it because he loves the work more than he loves the money the work brings him, will be much more successful in all areas, including getting paid for his efforts.

Those look like they fit the bill.   You did a nice job on them in my mind.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results