• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Input?

Started by nastygunz, August 20, 2008, 08:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Ok heres the scoop, I was looking at some decoys on the decoy heart site that has the little bouncy decoy "heart" ball thing....and on part of the web site it says this
"Hung Up Predator Supreme"   

Not limited to ground stakes--can be hung up on many sources of support like limbs, fence line and a variety of home made stakes that get the decoy higher than ground stakes do---Predators have no Depth Perception so "too high" is not a problem 3/4 feet of elevation works great!"

Now I find that statement a bit troublesome, I would think predators would have incredibly precise depth perception?!....as in a hawk making a high speed dive on a mouse from high altitude at high speed or a fox/coyote nailing a hare on the dead run with jumping, twisting dodging, etc. Without depth perception, especially in the case of birds of prey, it doesnt seem possible that they could catch anything.....I await some input on this subject :eyebrow:

browning204

I THINK that you are probably right it your judgement.

As far as those decoy hearts, they suck and stink.

They are loud, eat batteries like I eat banana splits and are just kinda dumb.

But thats my opinion.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

securpro

:confused:    I think a hawk would have excellent depth perception, because if he was diving after a mouse and miss judged by say 6 inches that could possibly put him underground   :wo: that would be kinda cool to see though  :biggrin:   Really though I dont think that a decoy on the ground or 3-4 feet in the air would make a difference to the predator at all. After all useing a decoy is meant to take and attention off the hunter and give a visual reference to a sound.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

coyote101

Quote from: nastygunz on August 20, 2008, 08:09:47 PM
Not limited to ground stakes--can be hung up on many sources of support like limbs, fence line and a variety of home made stakes that get the decoy higher than ground stakes do---Predators have no Depth Perception so "too high" is not a problem 3/4 feet of elevation works great!"

Now I find that statement a bit troublesome, I would think predators would have incredibly precise depth perception?!....as in a hawk making a high speed dive on a mouse from high altitude at high speed or a fox/coyote nailing a hare on the dead run with jumping, twisting dodging, etc. Without depth perception, especially in the case of birds of prey, it doesnt seem possible that they could catch anything.....I await some input on this subject :eyebrow:

I think you're right nastygunz; predators have to have depth, or distance perception for just the reasons you listed. I think what the add really means is they have no concept of depth or distance. So "too high" doesn't really mean anything to them.

Here is an interesting article:
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/index.cfm?function=showarticle&id=116

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

nastygunz

i dont think that a decoy position height wise makes much difference either but I think the perception statement is wrongggggggggggg  :innocentwhistle:

{animal planet}

Predator Vision
Cats have a range of binocular vision greater than any other carnivores, which contributes to their remarkable hunting skill. This visual ability comes at a price, however. Cats, like humans, have only limited peripheral vision, which means that they have to roll their eyes or move their heads to view anything located on either side of them.

Predators rely on acute distance judgment and depth perception to time leaps and strike prey successfully. Their eyes face forward, offering a wide field of overlapping sight. In this area of binocular vision, depth perception and distance assessment are keenest. The eyes of prey, on the other hand, are generally placed on the sides of the head, offering them a wider range for detecting approaching predators but less depth perception.

nastygunz

B204, please dont be shy about expressing your opinion, FnF is a "safe" place for you....not like the "other" place that traumatized you... :biggrin:....I heard your bestest buddy redflog has a whole box full of them decoy heart balls.....but he aint using em for decoys  :puke:

browning204

ya, he sticks them up his, oh never mind. We all already know!

HaMeR

Sounds like the wounded woodpecker would be the ticket then for a decoy that far off the ground. It would definitely look more natural being up that high. JMHO
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Rprince

Nasty,
I have a hung up supreme & it is not loud, I'm not a big decoy fan but this one seems to work well.
I can't say for sure about battery life but I have used it for up to 4 hours in a day & it was still running strong.
I can't say anything about the older units but i think they have been modified since their origional version, either way I don't think the noise will bother a coyote unless he is within 5 or 10 yards & even then I don't think it will be a problem.

Mr. Brint is a friend of mine & I recommend his products, if you would like I will send you my decoy for you to try out, you can make your own decision.
Decoys are contorversial, some people prefer them & others do not. Everyone has their own opinion.

Send me a pm if you want to try it, I would be more than happy to let you see for yourself.

browning204

Quote from: Rprince on August 20, 2008, 09:28:08 PM
Nasty,
I have a hung up supreme & it is not loud, I'm not a big decoy fan but this one seems to work well.
I can't say for sure about battery life but I have used it for up to 4 hours in a day & it was still running strong.
I can't say anything about the older units but i think they have been modified since their origional version, either way I don't think the noise will bother a coyote unless he is within 5 or 10 yards & even then I don't think it will be a problem.

Mr. Brint is a friend of mine & I recommend his products, if you would like I will send you my decoy for you to try out, you can make your own decision.
Decoys are contorversial, some people prefer them & others do not. Everyone has their own opinion.

Send me a pm if you want to try it, I would be more than happy to let you see for yourself.

maybe we are talking about different things? The one I am talking about was bought from cabelas and it was called the predator supreme. It was a motion ball, stuck to a spring on a stick with a fuzzy whatever it is over it. The fuzzy thing always fell off it it ran loud.

again, just my opinion.

FinsnFur

I think they got depth perception :confused:
I've seen dogs walk into large mirrors...but I've never seen a dog even so much as perk his ears at a picture of another dog...they just look at it,  as if to say WTF?  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Rprince

Browning,
we're talking about the same thing.
The hung up is a new model that the comapny has came out with, it's basically the same thing that doesn't have the stake & spring. He has different models of the hung up, I have the hung up decoy & the hung up crow.
He is in Cabelas and has been for a while, the company has been around for a long time & is (as far as I know) the inventor of motion decoys for predator hunting.

I have the same thing as you, minus the spring & sticlk. It works well in my opinion.

alscalls

I made one from a ferrit ball and its noisy I put a rabbit hide on it that I tanned and had a coyote yank it right from the stake it was on, and my cousin shot it. It was about two feet high, to get it above the weeds... :shrug: It worked that day.
It broke after a couple of years and I fixed it.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jrbhunter

Quote from: coyote101 on August 20, 2008, 08:29:57 PMI think you're right nastygunz; predators have to have depth, or distance perception for just the reasons you listed. I think what the add really means is they have no concept of depth or distance. So "too high" doesn't really mean anything to them.

That's exactly right.    A fawn decoy floating 3' over a 6" stand of clover will theoretically work better than a fawn decoy placed directly on the surface.   Why?  Visibility.

Coyotes cannot structure logic (Such as- fawns don't float... or fawns don't exist in February) and coyotes have no depth perception of sound or physical presence.   Loud is close, quiet is far away... don't give them too much credit.  They still lick their own asses.

Greenside

That dead coyote had no problems with that  fawn decoy's feet hanging 18"  over the bean stubble Hard to tell from the picture but the coyote is only 35-40 yard out from the decoy.  Had to wooof him to stop.  IMHO coyotes depth perception  is not that great.

Jrbhunter

That's why you guys kill so many coyotes out there.... ours don't come with labels!

possumal

I field tested one of the first Predator Supreme units for George Brint, and didn't have any problems with it. My only negative report was I felt it would be better if you had control over when it shakes or the pattern of the shaking.  I got good battery life out of it and found that I could use the decoy heart in about any kind of fuzzy thing hanging from Yote Coyote's mouth, giving realism to the critter he supposedly has caught.  The coyotes I have called in using that method have reacted strongly, raising their hackles, and changing from audio mode to video mode. It is a real kick to watch them change. I have used the JIB in the same manner, but have control over when it moves with the remote, a big advantage, in my opinion.  George's Crippled Crow decoy is pure poison on crows when used in conjunction with the owl, hawk, or coyote decoy.  I am confident that George has made improvements with his no stake model, as he is very creative and always looking for a better mousetrap.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff