• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got a Call Today

Started by Jerry Hunsley, November 09, 2008, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

Bright and early this morning , I got a call. I was still half asleep. It was my ole farmer friend who I have known for over 60yrs. He told me three coyotes were about a quarter mile from his place . They were bothering his pheasants. My first thoughts were to just go and call them. Then I decided to just go and put some traps in and a few snares. I ran into problems right away. I didn't have any dry dirt,but I thought I could get some in his barn. Wrong!! His roof leaked and all I had along was some waxed dirt and not very much. I put in a couple traps and ended up putting 16 snares in. The snow was about 8 " deep so I made some artificial travelways using my tire tracks. From what he told me  the coyotes were coming out of the hills  and hunting  his shelter belts and then at daybreak back into the hills again. I confirmed this after looking around. I got some dry dirt later today and am headed back out tomorrow and put in somemore traps. There is a prairie dog town adjacent to his shelter belts and coyote tracks all over. I shot a few prairie dogs and left them lay there. I'm betting they will be gone tomorrow or the next day. If I'm lucky, I will post some pictures.

FinsnFur

I heard you guys were getting pounded with snow. I bet the ole coyotes are really on the prowl.
I feel pretty confident that were gonna see some pics shortly. :eyebrownod: And dont forget to snap a few of Wiley, he's such a ham :sneer:

By the way..what is a shelter belt?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

Shelter belts are what some people call tree groves. They are trees off various varieties that usually are put on the windward side of the farms. The prevailing wind is usually North North West. It provides a little protection from the howling wind and snow. Also the  trees and evergreens that can be up to a half mile long and provide lots of protection for livestock, pheasants, and all sorts of wildlife. They are great for hunting deer and pheasants. The coyotes visit these places quite regular and even will use these area as their bedding areas. It is not unusual to kick out a couple coyotes when deer or pheasant hunting these areas. There are plenty of rabbits and small game the coyotes can prey on. In isolated areas you can call the coyotes out of these places , especially when the winters are tough and it is cold out. 

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Jerry: So basicly all you need to do is go from shelter belt to shelter belt to do your calling?  :wo: Seems simple enough.  :shrug:

Jerry Hunsley

That will work later on after Pheasant season when there is not so much activity. 

Hawks Feather

So did you put out a few snares with smaller openings and a little lower to possibly snare a pheasant smaller coyote?  It seems like a smaller coyote (the feathered kind) would be good eating since there would be no shot in it.   :innocentwhistle:

Jerry

Jerry Hunsley

nailbender

That doesn't work so well Hawk. Icaught a pheasant in a snare last year and the coyotess ate it before I got there! :laf:

Hawks Feather

Well, it sounded like a good idea.   :biggrin:

Jerry