• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Backyard buck

Started by Frogman, December 18, 2008, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Saw several deer behind the house this evening.  One was an 8 point buck . . . .

I watched him for a while and took several pictures wondering if I should get out the muzzle loader as it is our muzzle loading season now here in WV and I haven't filled my tag yet.    Here's another picture of him . . . .

So I decided to get the smoke pole out of the gun safe and see if he would stick around long enough for me to get it loaded.  Got the gun loaded and he was still there . . . .

So I stepped out to the garage and drew down on him, it was right at 5:00 PM this evening, he moved a little to the right from that last picture and turned broadside to me.  I'm thinking, "I'm not going to shoot if he keeps going and gets out of sight behind the old building".  Well he stopped about 50 yards away.  Man I forgot how much those muzzle loaders smoke!  I saw him kick his hind legs up right at the shot, then everything was covered by the smoke.  When it drifted away I could see him way out to my right just as he staggered and went down about 150 yards away . . . .

You can see him lying out there a ways  .  .  .  .

Nice little 8 point .  .  .  .

Alscalls came out to help me drag him and take some pictures.  It's great to have good friends like Al!  If it weren't for him I would still be dragging.

Thanks again Al!! :congrats:

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

No problem Jim.........Nicer than mine :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bills Custom Calls

Good Job Jim
Al thanks fer helping out the older folks on the board here

Great recovery

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyote101

Great job Jim.  :yoyo: :yoyo: That's a really nice one.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

pitw

That is super.  Love it when they cooperate [especially the friends].
I say what I think not think what I say.

iahntr

Nice one  :yoyo:
Glad it all came together for ya  :highclap: :congrats:
Scott

KySongDog

Nice deer, Jim!  :congrats:

Who says ya can't kill 'em from your recliner!   :yoyo:    Well, OK, ya did have to step outside.   :biggrin:

Tikaani

Shoot it from your back door, drag it to the house, fill the freezer.  Harder to go to the grocery store.  Got to love that.

Hunt hard, die tired

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

LORDDAL

[quote author=Semp link=topic=7454.msg83089#msg83089 date=1229655659
Who says ya can't kill 'em from your recliner!   :yoyo:    Well, OK, ya did have to step outside.   :biggrin:
[/quote]
SHHHH  :nofgr: you'll give away our best kept secret recliner hunting is an art form takes years and years of practice why we use to have a blind that had a lazyboy in it ah the good ole days sure miss that ole blind.

Jim sweet deer how long ya been feeding that feller corn and grain  :roflmao: just picin nice lookin buck good to see at least someone is having some luck I covered lord knows how many miles yesterday and saw bupkiss nada zip zilch lookin like this may go as a deerless season for me
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Frogman

Lorddal,
       I had only seen this one once before back before bow season began.  I think he has been pretty much nocturnal til this evening.  I have spent enough days like you chasing through the woods or sitting in a stand and seeing nothing with horns to have paid my dues.  I'll take an easy one once in a while!!  I do think I'll move an old recliner out onto the porch. 

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

Put a winch on it for dragging them............. :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Quote from: alscalls on December 19, 2008, 05:10:30 AM
Put a winch on it for dragging them............. :roflmao:
He'll still have ya come over to run the cable out to it.  :huh:
:laf:

WTG Jim! Get 'em when ya can. :wink:

SCcoyotehunter

Nice Buck! I am sure it won't be the last back yard buck. Nice looking place you have there.