• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New toneboard (Sound clip added)

Started by Yotehntr, November 22, 2008, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yotehntr

Well I guess I'm just one of those folks that have to keep changing things around a bit. I got this idea about my toneboards, don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the ones I've been making. But I thought I'd give something new a try. Well I took my existing design and changed the air channel and reed. I thought I'd try for a higher pitch so I cut a thin maybe 3/32" air channel and this allowed me to use a much narrower reed. Made my first one and well it blew me away. The only thing I miss with it is the pup barks/ki-yi's so I'll be making both. I figured the prototype would be a file 13 type thing, but I made it out of wood anyway (Curly Katalox) since I already had a piece of it turned round in a drawer. I usually keep the 1st one made but I wanted an antler one on a Coco barrel for my lanyard. Sooo I told a buddy on here about it and he said he'd like to have it. "Just put a pretty piece of wood on it, for the barrel". Got to looking around trying to think of what would match the Katalox prototype and there sat a piece of Big leaf Maple Burl. I gave both a CA finish inside and out, as I always do. I just feel that that's about the toughest finish around for a call. Also tried a little new "trick" for buffing out the finish that gave a little glossyer finish that I'm quite pleased with, I'll be doing it from now on with all my calls. Well do ya'll think he'll like it?

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

Can't tell how it sounds from the pictures, but man is it beautiful looking!  :congrats: If he doesn't like it, send it to me.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

DirtyDog

Good lookin tone board Brad......call me sometime, we need to get out soon.

Hawks Feather

The call looks great and if it sounds anything like you say (which I have no reason to believe that it does) it will be a winner.

Jerry

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

John_NY

That looks nice. How is the volume on that size air channel ?  Do you want me to test it? LOL

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Yotehntr

Thanks guys! I tried to add a sound clip but I can't get e-snips to download it. Tried to download it as an attachment and couldn't do that either? In answer to your question John it's very loud, not deep enough to do barks anymore but it does a mean cottontail.

FinsnFur

Quote from: Yotehntr on November 22, 2008, 08:53:16 PM
Tried to download it as an attachment and couldn't do that either?

You mean upload it. :wink:
You should have been able to do that Brad. What kind of trouble were you having?
Unless the file was like overly huge in size.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

I'm sure he'll like it and if he don't, well he can give it to me.  :innocentwhistle: :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, Brads calls look like real nice calls (And they are for sure), but the real sleeper is the sound ya get from them, especially his antler tone board calls.

Very nice indeed Brad.  :congrats: :congrats:

Yotehntr

Sound file added! Jim I recorded it on Goldwave (as I always have) problem is I have a new laptop....never added the codec to save as MP3 in wave format it must have been to big.  :doh2: Never would've thought it was opperator problems LOL.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Guys,
     I ordered one of Yotehntr's calls a couple days ago.  I really like the looks of those spalted hackberry barrels.  Also the thought of  a handmade antler toneboard intriged me.  When yotehntr told me about the new toneboard he discusses in the post above I asked him if we could work something out so I could get both toneboards with one barrel so they would be interchangable.  Instead we worked it out that I would just get two calls, one with each toneboard.  He didn't want me missing a coyote while I fooled aroung trying to change out the toneboards!  He is much wiser than I!!
    Anyway today I got a box in the mail, just two days after placing the order!!  :congrats:  The calls are really nice and sound great.  Each has just a little different pitch.  I am very impressed with the talent some of you guys have to turn a piece of wood and antler into a beautiful work of art that sounds so good. 
    I have recently added these yotehntr calls, one from bnccont, and one of alscalls that I should be getting soon from the LORDDAL raffle.  Does anyone make a 12 drop lanyard????

Thanks again Brad for the great calls, I look forward to getting them out on a few stands soon!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Yotehntr

:biggrin:  I'm glad you like it Jim! Thanks really goes to my wife though (come to think of it) I was headed to work, when I got your e-mail. I boxed them up and she ran them to the PO. She's awesome ain't she! Hope you kill a bunch with it!

Todd thanks for the kind words! Think I was to frustrated with the sound file and got preoccupied with the @*#!  thing.  :doh2:  Hate it when these 'puter things kick my butt.