• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First coyote of the year.

Started by statelinerut, January 19, 2009, 04:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statelinerut

First victim of the year. Didn't like the sound of them pups being mistreated and it cost him big!

CZ 527 American
40gr Vmax
27.3gr H4895
Foxpro 416B with LR Remote
Feather on a stick

Went back to my cat spot to see if I could call another bobcat. Took a nice female bobcat at this location last January. The set-up is about .5mile off the road. It is about a 300 yard food plot about 30 yards wide. I was setting at one end with the sun to my back. On the left are 5 year old pines that run the entire length of the food plot and cutover on the right. At the very end it runs into a huge thicket area that you cant even see thru. The wind was from my right to left. I had the Foxpro and feather on a stick about 50 yards in front of me on the right edge of the food plot. The cat last year came from the pines, so I wanted any cat that came in the have to cross the food plot to get to the call. Or at least get to the edge like the female last year did.

My sequence of sounds went as follows. Cottontail for 15 minutes, Lucky Bird for 15 minutes, and Northern Flicker for 15 minutes. Now intending on calling in a cat I kept the volume pretty low the whole 30 minutes. After the 30 minute mark I turned off the caller and sat silent for 5 minutes. Nothing. So I do as I always do at the end of my stands, I let the pup in distress roll for about 1 minute and got ready. Low and behold at the far end of the food plot this big boy come barreling out. He got to the cutover side of the food plot and started making his way to where all the commotion was taking place. At about 150 yards out he marked the feather on a stick and it was on. He got to about 100 yards and stopped in that low stalking mode and then it was over for the old boy. I sent a 40gr Vmax just above his left shoulder and the base of his neck and he spun about 10 yards down to the edge of the pines.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.

-- Ronald Reagan

Silencer

any idea of the weight ?  looks pretty hefty.  Congrats  :congrats:

alscalls

Congrats  :congrats: :congrats:
Now how about your story and set up??
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

statelinerut

Quote from: Silencer on January 19, 2009, 04:12:08 PM
any idea of the weight ?  looks pretty hefty.  Congrats  :congrats:

Silencer, I would hate to guess, but would feel safe in saying close to 35 lbs or more. He was heavy and thick.
Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.

-- Ronald Reagan

CCP

Nice coyote and I really like the rifle. Them CZ's shoot and look good.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

SCcoyotehunter

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

cb223

WOOHOO   :yoyo:   Nice!!!   Congrats!
CHAD

Frogman

That's some fine shooting!  Way to go!!  Appreciate the detailed story.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!