• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Orange, Purple and Green

Started by John_NY, January 10, 2009, 10:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_NY

I just turned this colorwood call this evening. It's just getting to cold to be hanging out in the shop.  :laf:  The mouth piece is a turned piece of elk antler. I haven't voiced it yet.

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

sharkathmi

That finish is awesome!!
Do you mind saying what the finish is and how many coats it took to get it looking like a mirror?
M

John_NY

M:
    After I finishing sanding I give it a quick coat of butchers wax while it's spinning on the lathe. I don't let the wax stay on for any length of time. I just use it to darken the colors a bit. Just a couple minutes while I'm drilling the antler mouth piece then wipe it back off. After I fit the antler in the call I dip the entire call in water based polycrylic. I use a wire to hang the call. It dries in about 30 minutes. I give it 3 dips. before I hang the call to dry I set it on a piece of cardboard that has a smooth coating of whatever they use on it. I keep picking it up by the wire and moving it to a clean spot. You can tell when it's ready to hang when you lift the call and you can feel it slightly starting to stick. Now when you hang it you won't get that dreaded drip that dried before it drops off.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

pitw

Looks really good to me John but then again what do I know I still haven't found the flaw on one after you pointed it out. :doh2:
I say what I think not think what I say.

John_NY

Thanks Barry:
     Did those last 2 calls get there yet?

John

pitw

Got them out of the box yesterday and man that closed reeed with the antler mouth piece is loud.  Donny about got him and I banned from the yard.
I say what I think not think what I say.

John_NY

Thanks Barry for letting me know they finally got there. Talk about slow shipping.  :roflmao: 
John

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

blacky

Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com