• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Frogman's cold stand . . .

Started by Frogman, January 21, 2009, 04:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Guys I have been spending too much time in the recliner during this cold spell.  I decided I was going to get in a stand this morning regardless of the weather.  The temp was 7 degrees when I left the house this morning.  On the way to the stand I found these tracks in the snow . . . .

I'm thinking, Bobcat" as some neighbors have seen them nearby.  What do you guys think??

Set up here which is the same spot where I killed those two gray foxes earlier in the fall.  I also called a coyote in here that took off before I could get my sights on him.  This is across the road from my house about 400 yards.

Wind was about 10 mph from the South or left in this photo.  The Scorpion is hanging from a fence post about 80 yards from me to the right in the above photo.  A wire with two turkey feathers attached is barely visible in the right portion of the photo a little ways out in the field.  Here is what I could see to my left or upwind . . . .

I started out the stand with some mouthcall distress sounds, then went to rabbit distress on the Scorpion.  I soon had some crows come in to investigate.  After 25 minutes I started getting cold so I ended the stand with a little Screamin gray fox, then some howls and finally puppy distress.  No takers today.

When I put the Scorpion out I found these tracks . . . .

They came through the fence here . . . .

Between where I was set up and where I put the Scorpion.  These tracks were there when I put out the e-caller.  I think they are coyote tracks.  What do you guys think??

I enjoyed getting out, but it was cold!!  Another dry stand.  Still trying to figure out the tracks???

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

SCcoyotehunter

Looks like coyote tracks to me! If you can mark an "X" across it and not touch the back pad then its a coyote.

Frogman

Fastenal . . .
         That's what I thought too, but I watched a neighbors dog walk through my yard the other day and it's tracks had the x through them without touching the rear pad????  I have been told that coyote tracks are egg shaped and dog tracks are more rounded???  I really need some help with these tracks.  After two years I still can't tell them apart for sure???  :wo:

:confused:   :shrug:

HELP!!

Jim

SCcoyotehunter

I once read that if you look at a dogs path as he walks he tends to sway back and forth and a coyote will be more of a straight line. I don't know if theres any truth to it but I saw it somewhere.
David

LBLDOG

frogman ,great dedication for the cold stand this morning and cool pics of your set up and tracks! :yoyo:

RShaw

Both sets of tracks belong to a coyote.

Randy

I place as much value on learning what not to do as I do in knowing what to do.

alscalls

Ya should have pack that recliner with ya!........ :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Okanagan

Quote from: RShaw on January 22, 2009, 07:48:16 AM
Both sets of tracks belong to a coyote.

Randy

Ditto.  The pattern plus the arrangement of toes and pad on individual tracks are coyote.  Generally the X test works on canines, be it dog or coyote etc. and not on cats.  Also, as clear as the pad is on one of the first set of tracks, a  bobcat would show three lobes on the rear of the pad.

PA brushwolf

Hi Jim. Good pics of the tracks. Thanks for the welcome. Enjoying all the stories everyone is sharing. Hope the next pic is of the animal making the tracks.
Mike

Frogman

Hey Mike,
    You got that right.  I have been having a long dry spell here.  Sure hope to break it soon.  Maybe, not that the weather has moderated some, I can get out a little more.  It's great to have you posting here.  Looking forward to seeing you again at LBL. 

Jim