• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

More tracks . . . (lots of pictures)

Started by Frogman, January 31, 2009, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Frogman, alscalls and his friend made a few stands this afternoon (1/31/09).  We went to alscalls brother  in law's farm.  The brother in law has been hearing coyotes frequently at night.  We arrived about 4:00 PM and planned to do a couple of late afternoon stands.  There is still a couple of inches of snow on.  Some of it fell after the ice storm of earlier this week.  So the snow was really crunchy and noisy as we walked up the hill to our first stand.  Temperature was 25 degrees with a very slight wind from the SW which really wasn't very good for us.  Found these tracks near our first stand . . .

I'm pretty sure these are coyote tracks!!  Here you can see alscalls examining them . . .

Here it looks like one of them took a leak . . .

Another track . . .

We aren't sure what happened here, Al thought maybe some mating went on???

here is a trail so you can get an idea of how they walked . . .

This might be a scent post???  Lots of piss in the snow spread over an area about the size of a bushel basket right in the middle of the road . . .

The scent post? was in the middle of this road out the ridge line . . .

Another good track . . .

Here are some shots of the area where we were . . .

This is where I set up for our final stand . . .

There were coyote tracks all over this area.  Al thought we might have had a coyote come in on that last stand and bust us??  We did hear one short howl while calling.  Walking was so noisy that I don't think our chances were very good.  Very educational though due to all the sign we found.  We will try this area again!!! 

All comments appreciated!!  Still trying to figure out these tracks??

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

weedwalker

Those are definitely coyote tracks. You should've scraped up that yellow snow and put it in your scent bottle. :biggrin:

Frogman

Ahh man,
    I wish I would have thought of that.  I had the scent bottle with me too.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

alscalls

You could see tail marks in the snow where........"Al thought maybe some mating went on"........And it was very close to where the female pissed. You could also see where the dogs feet were splayed and walking on 6 legs if you will... :eyebrow:
If you look close you can kinda see those tail marks in the photo. :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Were they really tail marks or was it drag marks from your hood strings when you knelt down to sniff it Al? :roflmao:

Nice pics by the way. I'm taking you seen nor heard a thing on the stand?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

We heard one single howl about ten min. into the stand.......then I heard something running by, over the hill from us, to our left.......Then some house dogs behind us went freaking nuts.......I feel we got busted. :shrug:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Silencer

QuoteWere they really tail marks or was it drag marks from your hood strings when you knelt down to sniff it Al?

you know what, I can picture that in my mind...  :eyebrownod:

I found a spot almost exactly like that today, piss and all but it was in NY state and I dont have the license.  Tons of tracks, no houses for miles.