• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first Set-Up

Started by Hidehunter, February 16, 2009, 12:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hidehunter

Well I had my first actual Coyote hunt this Saturday.  It was a real windy day and the 2 places I scouted out and was excited about was all wrong.  Everybody told me if the wind is wrong just leave and so I did.  I had a couple other places in mind that I trapped last year so I went there and set-up.  Never seen or heard anything but had a great time.  Going to go out a couple nights this week after work.  Anybody got any good night hunting advice?

Denver
Denver                                           

FinsnFur

Congrats on the outing :yoyo:

Night hunting is totally different. First make sure it's legal in your area.
Are you using a light or how do you plan to go about it?

If I could give any advice right off the bat, it'd be remember coyotes can see a whole lot better then you especially at night. Night hunting for beginners is some tough stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

Your light should be as still as possible.......they can see the movement and the movement of shadows!!!
Howling works well right now but not too much.....you want those dogs that answer right away.......
Practice shooting with your light before you go!!!!!!!! <<<<<<<<< :readthis:
If you do not you could find yourself in a dangerous situation as I did when my light blew apart from the blast of my shotgun and I was in fear for my life cause I did not know my light was broken till the next stand when a deer decided to kick my butt!!
Test all your night gear as if it were a real hunting situation.......
I know you must hunt the open fields in WV but they do not like to come that far even after dark around here so sit close to the woods edge.... Hunt very close to the thick.......use a shotgun those danged rim-fires are NOT enough for a coyote in most situations especially after dark.
Fawn distress can get you hurt by a deer so be careful. most animals after dark will warn when a coyote is coming with the exception of cows.....many times cows will only look at the coyote and do nothing unless the dogs are after one of their own.
Birds will react if they are roosted low but most will do nothing after dark. STAY AWAY FROM HORSES AND MULES They hate coyotes and if you howl near them that can get you hurt.....most yotes will stay out of that part of the fence anyway.
I hope this helps but really.....I would stick to daytime I night hunted a lot for several years and I tell ya Daytime is the way to go....Yotes around here get called to a lot at night and it is tough. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

Hidehunter,
   I forget where are you located??  Maybe we could get together some time and get in a few stands.  I'm pretty new at this myself, but I would be happy to share what I have learned over the past couple of years.  I have lots of property, both private and public to hunt on here in the Parkersburg area.  I am retired and could hunt just about anytime!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hidehunter

Quote from: Frogman on February 16, 2009, 11:47:57 PM
Hidehunter,
   I forget where are you located??  Maybe we could get together some time and get in a few stands.  I'm pretty new at this myself, but I would be happy to share what I have learned over the past couple of years.  I have lots of property, both private and public to hunt on here in the Parkersburg area.  I am retired and could hunt just about anytime!!

Jim

That sounds great.  I live close to Summersville about 160 miles away.  Hardly nothing to learn a few more tricks.  I work from 7:30am - 6:00pm M-F so the only time I can hunt is on the weekends.  Everybody back here at home 'thinks' they know alot about coyotes and tells me how easy it will be to hunt them :confused:but nobody has killed or hunted them for that matter.  It makes it hard for me because I'm just learning from trial and error.  I really appreciate you guys helping me out.  Everything I know I basically learned it from this forum.

Denver
Denver                                           

Hidehunter

Quote from: alscalls on February 16, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
I would stick to daytime I night hunted a lot for several years and I tell ya Daytime is the way to go....Yotes around here get called to a lot at night and it is tough. :wink:

Yeah, I would much rather hunt the daylight but with work I dont get enough oppurtunity (1 day a week isnt enough :sad:)

Me and my brother in law went out last night to a couple stands and called in a Bobcat.  It came 15 yards in front of us.  We were sitting close to the woodline that was REAL brushy.  It walked back in the brush and snuck in behind us and screamed and We both just about pissed down our leggs.  I've never heard one scream like that.  It was only about 10 yards behind us :shck:
It was a good learning experience though as far as how to set up.  SET FACING THE THICK STUFF AND NOT WITH MY BACK AGAINST IT :biggrin:
Denver                                           

alscalls

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:Been there done that!!!!!! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

Hidehunter

:roflmao: :roflmao:If you could have seen us 'big, bad coyote hunters' jump up and point our shotguns at the brush.  The first thought I had was it was a big cat with a long tail.  If I could of had it on film I would probably be rich. :roflmao:
Denver                                           

Hidehunter

Quote from: alscalls on February 16, 2009, 04:21:44 PM
Your light should be as still as possible.......

This may seem like a stupid question but should I leave my light on the whole time or just listen and randomly check?  Can the yotes see the light or what is the deal?

Denver
Denver                                           

alscalls

BIG question.......Opinions vary......I turn mine on when I think I can see the animal most of the time just cause my battery wont last all night any other way. With some of the new LED lamps out today I have been messing with leaving a dim light on at all times and turning the big light on as needed.......You DO miss a lot of chances leaving it off.......Movement and shadows is what I believe they see .......a still light that is not too Bright seems to go un-noticed.
We have even tried hanging a dim red lends lantern 20 yds out and have had no chance yet to see a reaction to this.
For lends material try the local music shop.....Ask for the lends mat. they use in stage lights......cost is about a buck for an 8"x8" sheet. :wink:
AL

Silencer

lol.. sounds like a fun night.  The first time I brought my brother along I had a light and he didnt  :innocentwhistle:   I placed him on the only snow patch along the trail with the JS speaker up between him and I ( didnt think they'd come in that way ).  A few minutes of the grey fox pup distress and  I heard him scream and shoot, a fox jumped in his lap  :roflmao: :eyebrownod:   I think he did piss himself that night  :roflmao: