• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

These were fun!

Started by sharkathmi, February 11, 2009, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkathmi

Greetings All,
Here are a couple I just finished up. It is my first attempt at cut out patterns and I think I'm going to keep doing it like this. It was a lot of fun tinkering around with it.
I won't go into any details as I'm sure you all know how to do it.
They are Goncalo Alves and Bocote, with maple as the veneer.

I learned how much clamping pressure to use when I was gluing up the first one.  :rolleye:
As you can see I cracked off the bottom of the darker call. I "repaired" it by adding the bocote on the bell.

Thanks for lookin' and as always, comments welcome.

Mark

FinsnFur

No, I dont know how ya did it :nono: But I sure do like it.

For a beginner you sure are taking off. There's a few call makers that been at it for years and can't produce anything close to that.
Very nice work :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

They look great .
Super job    :congrats:
Scott

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Hawks Feather

Excellent looking lamination.  I also like the lines of your calls.  Personally, I like the Bocote on the bell of the call.  Extra work, but I like it.

Jerry

sharkathmi

Well Thank You everyone!!   :bowingsmilie:
I've had fun doing them. I'm looking forward to getting a band saw so I can do more.
I paid $20 to have those four cuts made  :shck: We discussed cost after we were done cutting  :doh2:
Hawks Feather, that ring in tenon fit too!! Not just a butt joint. I'm learning! :biggrin:
Mark

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

blacky

Complete line of turkey, locator, deer and squirrel calls.
www.genesturkeycalls.com

LORDDAL

man those are some SWEET lookin calls I really like the Bocote on the bell is my favorite too nice stuff
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

cb223

Those look great.  :yoyo:   You sure are getting it figured out in a hurry. :highclap:

I'm with Jim, I don't know how to do laminates like that either.
CHAD

sharkathmi

Jim, CB...and anyone who's interested.
To do call bodies like this is easier than it may look.
I took two call blanks cut to the same dimensions and glued them together with two little dots of glue, because they have to come apart later. Trace the pattern you want on the top piece of wood (stacked vertically) and cut it out on a band saw. Break the pieces apart and exchange the middle piece to the other body. I know you can use a clamp to hold the pieces together but gluing was easier and I wouldn't have the clamps to get in the way. When you glue them up I used a contrasting laminate in between the pieces. I made my laminate by cutting thin pieces on the table saw using a carbide blade. :rolleye: That's why they are different thicknesses as you can see in the calls :doh2: Anyway, carefully glue and clamp and you will have two pretty cool blanks when you are done. The next time I do this I will move the pattern up a little bit so I am not so close to the bottom. I think that is why the end broke off is because it was too close to the end and too thin.
If you have a scroll saw, there is a great post by Hunt-n-carve (I think) that shows you how to something similar, only it's so exact that you don't need any laminate between the woods. It's really cool to see.

Thanks for the kind words and your support everyone. I appreciate it.

Mark

Coulter

Very Nice Mark...I haven't done a laminate in quite a long time. I do know how to do them I just can't seem to find the time to play with anything like that. The guys on here are right...for a beginner you sure learn fast and your calls are looking good - keep it up.

Steve