• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Wolves

Started by Silencer, February 02, 2009, 02:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

First two wolves   of the first five wolves (shot legally)   near Pinedale and Big Piney, Wyoming after  the season for wolves was opened up.  I  would venture to say they are 'just a little bit  bigger' than the local  coyotes!  These  were caught,  with two others, in a calving  pen, killing livestock.....not eating the  livestock, just killing it.  I'm thinkin'  my 340 Weatherby isn't too much gun for one of  these critters..... fortunately the wolves I saw  on Wanda's place weren't near this  size...... they were 3x the size of our coyotes,  though.....these guys have been eating really  well!  Acutally, eating TOO WELL!   It's no wonder the elk and moose calves only  have a 20% chance of making it to 6 months old  in the Yellowstone area with  these big boys around!  Amazingly, the  Colorado Division of Wildlife has requested  anyone catching a wolf or wolverine in a leg  hold trap to "please try to release it  alive"........ that could be a pretty good  trick!  I was expecting much smaller wolves  to be in the 'not safe for wolves zone' ......  wonder how big the wolves are that ran these two  out of the 'safe zone'?

Dont think I  want to snowshoe or cross country ski in   Wyoming  anymore........ expect to see these critters in   Colorado  pretty soon.....coming to a favorite deer or elk  haunt near you!

Just got this in a e-mail.  Couldnt find anything on snopes....

Yotehntr

Wow! man those are big. That would have to be one of the ultimate's in predator calling. That and mountain lion.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Frogman

I'm skeptical????  After the giant cougar that was supposedly killed not too far from my house, the 5 coyotes attacking the guy who was shooting them with his pistol, now this.  It is just too easy to Photo Shop these pictures.   Just my opinion??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Silencer

Same here Jim, seems every time you get a e-mail like this its a hoax.   
I did find that Pie-bald buck on snopes but not this yet.  Maybe it needs to be passed around before it ends up there. 

WY2000

Well they are real and real big, the game and fish in Pinedale did not weigh them but guessed about 140 - 150 each.  They have been killing and eating calves and elk at the feed grounds.  They were shot at Merna WY which is 25 miles or so west of Pinedale and per the game regulations were checked in at Pinedale.
WY2000

Frogman

On the conservative side those two guys in the picture look to weigh 150 - 200 pounds, assuming that is close then those wolves appear to weigh 200 pounds or more????  Sorry, but I'm still skeptical.  I would have to be there and see them for myself to be convinced???  But, then that's just me, I'm wrong lots of the time.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Tikaani

Just signed in for the first time since returning from Michigan.  If the two weighed in at 150 pounds I think it is possible that the photo is real.  The wolf population in that area is nothing compared to here so I would imagine that the competition for food combined with the less severe and long winters we have, reaching that size, I believe would be easy.  This wolf was 110 pounds, I am 240 and 6' tall, he is laying side ways so his size is some what deceiving, but if you compare the paws and the rear legs, throw on another forty pounds and you have a big wolf.

Hunt hard, die tired
John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

nastygunz

I emailed the local newspaper editor and also the WY F&G Dept., Ill let yall know if I hear anything back from them. :wink:

Silencer

John, very beautiful animal.  The fur on em looks incredible !!!

vvarmitr

Aaaaaah! Pix of dead wolves. How nice!  ;yes;

WY2000

Quote from: nastygunz on February 17, 2009, 10:43:27 PM
I emailed the local newspaper editor and also the WY F&G Dept., Ill let yall know if I hear anything back from them. :wink:

Here's one with a good story about the chase.
http://www.sublette.com/examiner/v8n4/v8n4s1.htm
This one probably lost a couple of pounds after being chased so far in the snow.  It would go about 130 or so.  All three of these wolfs were taken within 50 miles of my house.
WY2000

Coulter

I thought that the judge yanked that season before it even opened :confused:

vvarmitr

Thanks WY2000 for the link. Good story! ;yes;  :biggrin:

WY2000

Quote from: Coulter on February 18, 2009, 09:06:50 AM
I thought that the judge yanked that season before it even opened :confused:

The three on this post were taken in March and April of 08, the feds closed it in August o8.  The two by the sleds were taken March 28th, the first day it was legal.

Hidehunter

In the pick with the 2 big wolves, I was looking at it and it seems the guy on right is holding the 150 lb dog up off the ground with just 1 arm.  Something is fishy...Where is his other arm?

Nice wolf John!!
Denver                                           

nastygunz

This is the response I got back from the Editor of the Pinedale newspaper, obviously a man of few words, for what its worth:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj: Re: WOLF HOAX? 
Date: 2/18/2009 9:05:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
To: NASTYGUNZ
Sent from the Internet (Details)

"They are real."

On 2/17/09 9:39 PM, "NASTYGUNZ" wrote:

Hello, this attached picture has been floating around the Internet of these wolves  killed and then weighed in by Fish & Game in Pinedale and I was wondering if you might have any information on the validity of this?..the weights given for them were 140-150 pounds, thank you, J.

nastygunz

So did he basically just find a track and run it to ground with a snowmobile?

Quote from: WY2000 on February 18, 2009, 08:53:57 AM
Quote from: nastygunz on February 17, 2009, 10:43:27 PM

Here's one with a good story about the chase.
http://www.sublette.com/examiner/v8n4/v8n4s1.htm
This one probably lost a couple of pounds after being chased so far in the snow.  It would go about 130 or so.  All three of these wolfs were taken within 50 miles of my house.
WY2000