• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Beautiful day to be out

Started by Frogman, April 09, 2009, 08:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Today (Thursday 4/9/09) was a great day to get out.  Nice cool 32 degrees when I left the house this morning with a new hunting buddy.  We did five stands at really nice area I havn't hunted for a while.  It's about 50 minutes from my house.  Left at 7:15 AM this morning.  We had a great day!

At our first stand the wind was from my left rear in this photo . . .

The Scorpion was nearly 100 yards away just below the crest of the meadow in front of us.  Since the wind was wrong I just did some distress sounds, knowing we wouldn't stay here long.  Here's my buddy . . .

We walked a few hundred yards out the road for another stand here . . .

Set up against a round bale looking down into the edge of the woods.  Light wind right in our faces.  Buddy was set up to cover the down wind side.  Started out with some howls here with the mouth call answerinf with the Scorpion.  Waited a couple of minutes then went to fawn distress, because we saw several fawn prints in the road.  Finished stand with pup distress.  No response.

We then walked on up the road to another large meadow on top of the hill.  Set the Scorpion out at the crest of the hill with the turkey feather decoy nearby.  My buddy set up facing an old barn type collapsed building that is in the middle of the meadow.

I set up covering the downwind  here . . .

We jumped several deer as we approached this location.  As soon as we got set up I heard turkeys gobbling down in the woods to my left front in the above photo.  I responded with some turkey sounds on the scorpion which was 50 yards behind and above me.  Figured a coyote might be stalking the birds??  After a few minutes of this I did some howls with the wvhillbilly howler and responded with the Scorpion.  Waited for a few minutes then did the fawn distress again.  Then the coyote and fawn sound.  Finished with pup distress again.  No takers??

We then back tracked quite a ways to get to another large meadow.  In the road that connects these meadows we found lots of coyote sign, at least I think these are all coyote tracks . . .

We set up near by and did another stand.  Same result??

As we walked on out the road here . . .

And here . . .

We continued to see lots of tracks . . .

Last stand was overlooking this old abandoned house . . .

Set up my buddy overlooking the house against an old tin well building and I set up watching the downwind . . .

Called in this . . .

Turkey buzzard.  He actually came down and buzzed the turkey feather decoy and e-caller.  About 15 feet above the decoy!  Cool.

On the way out we found a little rabbit fur with coyote tracks around it.  But then coyote tracks were pretty much everywhere along this road??

We had a great day.  Only thing that would have made it better would have been to get a coyote in the crosshairs!  Maybe next time.  I hope this was not too many pictures.  That new server should be able to handle them!  Hope you guys enjoy my stories.  Not too boring with no kills??

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

pitw

That was just about enough pics but not quite.  Enjoyed them and the story Jim.  Looks like a great place to spend the day.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hidehunter

Thanks for the pics and story.  I havent got to go out for a while.  Was going to go this weekend but went fishing instead.
Denver                                           

coyotehunter_1

Jim,
Glad you all had an enjoyable day in the field, that's what really counts.  :congrats:

Dog or coyote?  :confused:

It's hard to tell sometimes, especially in sloppy ground, but looks more K-9 than coyote to me. :shrug:

But then again...  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Hidehunter

To me the first 3 look like dog but the last ones seem to be coyote.  But then again I'm just a beginner  :shrug:
Denver                                           

Frogman

Quote from: coyotehunter_1 on April 09, 2009, 09:17:52 PM
Jim,
Glad you all had an enjoyable day in the field, that's what really counts.  :congrats:

Dog or coyote?  :confused:

It's hard to tell sometimes, especially in sloppy ground, but looks more K-9 than coyote to me. :shrug:

But then again...  :wink:

Yeah guys,
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between dog tracks and coyote tracks.  This is all private property and I really don't think there would be many dogs around.  I think the 4th and 5th photos are the front and hind prints of the same coyote?  Jump in here guys and express your opinions.  Dog or Coyote???? :confused:

Jim

FinsnFur

Your buddy had some pretty keen camo going on there, I almost couldnt pick him out.

I think that spot with the round bales on the ridge would be a sweet spot if one of you went 1/4 of the way down the right side of the ridge, and the other 1/4 way down the left side of the ridge. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Quote from: Frogman on April 09, 2009, 08:40:19 PM

As soon as we got set up I heard turkeys gobbling down in the woods to my left front in the above photo.  I responded with some turkey sounds on the scorpion which was 50 yards behind and above me. 

Looks like you had a good time Jim.  Nice pics.   

In KY electronic calls for turkey are illegal.  Not so in West Virginia?   :confused:

HaMeR

Looks like some nice setups you made Jim.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

Semp,
    You are correct, we can not use electronic calls to turkey hunt in WV either.  Our turkey season does not begin till April 27.  To the best of my knowledge we can use turkey sounds for coyote hunting.  I know some of the guys even use turkey decoys to lure coyotes in.

Jim

pitw

Jim I'd call all those tracks coyote if for no other reason than it'd make me feel more optimistic. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.