• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Thougts on Laser engraving??

Started by Orion, April 13, 2009, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orion

I have found a place that will do laser engraving at a Very reasonable price.  What are you thoughts on laser engraving on calls?  He has one other sample coyote to engrave on a call, the coyote is standing whit his head back howling..  Maybe some for sale next week after returning from a business trip.....

Thanks,
Doug

ORION Calls
Doug
ORION Calls
Call for the Hunter
orion@orioncalls.com

Coulter

I have already made the switch to having all of my calls laser engraved. It is far more durable and will last as long as the call. I have learned a couple tricks already as far as the engraving goes.

It is really a matter of preference in the long run. Some guys like it and some prefer something a bit more personal like woodburning. It is obviously an extra cost; though, depending on who does it for you may be minimal. The place I use is pretty good, the more calls I bring in at a time the cheaper it is for me.

I like the engraving myself. But I have created all of the designs that appear on my calls. You could probably have that Orion Logo of yours engraved on your calls too.

Steve

Todd Rahm

I like it Doug, but then again I like the wood burning too.  :biggrin:

I can only think of three points to touch on about engraving. (I can only think of three right now) :confused:

One.... It can be a great identifier/marker for the call. Ya know.........ten years down the road, "Hey this call was made by Doug"  :biggrin:

Two... It has to be a some what simple design, because if its too busy it just looks like a dark blob on the calls, no matter what the wood is.

Three..  Detailed engravings look a lot better on lighter woods, then they do on darker woods or laminates.

Looking foward to seeing what ya come up with,  :wink:

Todd

vvarmitr

Laser engraving can be awesome.  :thumb2:
However, if you have a stunning piece of wood keep 'em the frick off!!!  :madd:
Now if you used it for your logo & wanted it on every piece & put it say on the inside of the bell that would be fine. ;yes;

Just my ...

Todd Rahm

VV,

Is that the money ya saved by going with Geico?  :laugh2: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Ya that too, I may frown with an egraving in an awesome burl, but then again it might look darn toot'n good. I guess it depends on the logo.  :biggrin:

Lonehowl

I love engraving on calls. I think it makes the call look"complete" and a little more "professional:, whatever that means. I agree it looks way better on lighter woods though, and a simple design is best fro sure. You dont want to clutter up the overall looks of the call, imo

vvarmitr

Quote from: Todd Rahm on April 14, 2009, 01:35:13 PM
Is that the money ya saved by going with Geico? 
That's the first thing I thought too.  :laf:

Your logo/signature is what it is regardless, whether it's simple or complex.  I feel that the L/S should be in a indiscreet place. As artistic as it  may be.

If a callmaker was to feel that their L/S was that great then they should buy maple dowel rod, spin in a few whoopdeedoos on the call, & zap on the L/S right where all the world can see.   No need in buying figured wood. It'll detract from the L/S.  :shrug:

I guess I look at it like a painter's signature on his painting. It's off someplace indiscreet, but where it can be found.

Quote from: Lonehowl on April 14, 2009, 07:30:09 PM
You dont want to clutter up the overall looks of the call, imo
AMEN!

There you are Doug, you asked for some thoughts & there are some of mine.  Don't take 'em to serious, nobody else does. :nono:

FinsnFur

I think you can get more detail with the laser engraving cant ya?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Orion

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts.  I picked up ten more on the way home from the airport.  A half dozen or so are already sold to guys here in the local Springs area and I plan on putting a few up over on the custom board when I get them sorted out.

Doug
Doug
ORION Calls
Call for the Hunter
orion@orioncalls.com