• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got out this morning . . .

Started by Frogman, May 22, 2009, 09:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

A friend and I planned a coyote hunt for this morning 5/22/09.  We went to another new property.  A really nice farm with lots of high meadows and heavy hardwoods.   

Our first stand was at  7:30 AM.  Nice clear day and not too hot that early in the morning.  We had a very slight wind from my right front.  Set my friend out to my right a little ways so he could overlook a small meadow.  I was watching down in the woods with the meadow to my back.  I started out with a few howls on the Hillbilly howler.  Waited 5 minutes then hit the high pitched Sears Predator call.  I heard some crows near by so I turned on the "young crow distress" on the Scorpion.  Wow that really stirred the crows up.  We had a passel of them come in on us along with a red tailed hawk.  Unfortunatley that's all we called in.  Ended the stand with some pup distress.  No takers??  Here is a photo from where I was sitting . . .

We moved probably a quarter of a mile and set up again at the head of a holler with a high meadow bowl in front of me.  I set out the Scorpion at least 100 yards out in the bowl above a cattle water trough.  I set up at the edge of the woods looking out along the wood line into this large bowl shaped meadow at the head of a wooded holler to my right.  Here . . .

The e-call was near a bush just below the low hanging branch in this photo . . .

My partner was above and behind me covering the back door.  Started with some howls again then followed up with distress on the Bonker  and the e-caller.  We stayed for nearly an hour at this spot.  Finished the stand with pup distress.  Still no coyotes??

Our third stand was just over the crest of the meadow in the previous pictures.  I moved out to the edge of the woods about 400 yards away.  My partner set up against a deer hunting shoot shack at the top of the point.  On this stand we were calling into a completely different watershed from the previous stand.  Here is a photo of my view from where I was set up. 

My partner was set up in the shade of the shoot house you can see in the distance.  We were calling into the holler to the right in these photos.  Here is a closer shot of the shoot house . . .

Here is the holler we were calling into . . .

I used pretty much the same calling sequence described in the previous stands.  We were expecting to see a coyote come out of the holler below us at any time.  The farmer and neighbors have been hearing them howling every few nights!  Still no takers??

One of the farmers sons has a airplane and a landing strip up in one of the large meadows.

Pretty neat huh??

Here are some other photos of this area . . .

My turkey feather decoy and the Scorpion.

The Scorpion . . .

And a few more photos . . .

And the farmers place . . .

We had a great morning, just no coyotes.  I'm having a long dry spell here.  Hopefully the weather will stay nice and I will be able to get out again soon!!

Jim

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Thats a pretty slick little outlook up there isnt it. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

That sure is some nice country.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

BlueDuck

Nice country.  Nice and green.  I have had lots of those days with no takers.    Makes it nice when they finally show....

Jerry Hunsley

I'm not used to seeing country like that. It sure is pretty. Looks like a perfect place to be calling. All I see where I live is rolling praire and river breaks. It is nice and green though. Nice pictures.

LBLDOG

coyotehunter_1

Jim, good write up.  :highclap: :yoyo: 

Add a few more mountains and hollers and that bottom land farm would look like some of the areas we hunt around here. :wink: :biggrin:

Hang in there, it should be good coyote territory but a tough area to call. 

BTW> Any water close by ?

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Frogman

coyotehunter_1,

It has rained so much here that water is easy to find.  There is a small river just behind the house where we parked.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Tikaani

Nice country Jim, love the green stuff, thats what ya'll call grass isn't it, (you like that "ya'll" you Southern boys are rubbing off on me, and by southern I mean any place south of British Columbia).

Hunt hard, Die tired
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.