• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Why ammo is so scarce

Started by KySongDog, May 20, 2009, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

This was sent to me so I thought I'd pass it along.  Obama is making an end run ................

"Georgia Arms is the 5th largest retailer of .223 Ammo in America. They sell 9mm, .45, ..223 ammunition. They normally buy spent brass from the US Department of Defense. Spent brass is "one time used" shell cases used by our Military for training purposes.
          They buy the brass, recondition it, and then reload the brass for resale to Law Enforcement, Gun Clubs, Gun Shops, and stores like Wal-Mart. They normally buy 30,000 lbs of spent brass at a time.
          This week the DoD wrote a letter to the owner of Georgia Arms and informed him that from now on the DoD will be destroying the spent brass, shredding it. It will no longer be available to the ammo makers, unless they buy it in a scrap shredded condition (which they have no use for). The shredded brass i s now going to be sold by the DoD to China as scrap metal, after the DoD pays for it to be shredded. The DoD is selling the b rass to China for less money than the ammo makers have been paying, plus the DoD has to pay to have the brass shredded and do the accounting paperwork.
          This sure helps the economy now doesn't it? Sell cheaper to China, and do not sell at all to a proven US business. Any hidden agenda working here?  Obama going after the Firearms Industry and our ammunition!!
          The Georgia Arms owner even related a story that one of his competitors had already purchased a load of brass last week. The DoD contacted him this week and said they were sending someone over to make sure it was destroyed. Shell cases he had already bought!
          The brass has no value to the ammo maker if it is destroyed/shredded/melted. The ammo manufacturer only uses the empty brass cases to reload different calibers, mainly .223 bullets.
          The owner of Georgia Arms says that he will have to lay o ff at least half of his 60 workers, within 2-3 months if the DoD will no longer sell spent brass cases to the industry. Georgia Arms has 2-3 months of inventory to use, by summer they're out.
          If the Reloading Industry has to purchase new manufacture brass cases, then the cost of ammunition will double or even triple,  plus (Obama the idiot/fool) want's to add a 500% tax on each shell.

You can read the information and see the DoD letter to Georgia Arms here:          The Shootist Site "

FinsnFur

Cant take the guns so lets illuminate the ammo.

Every time he does something like this he makes that bullseye, a little bit bigger. :rolleye:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

We knew all along this was the only viable route. If you can't take the guns then price the ammo so it can't be afforded. I'm looking at a 9mm for a CC gun & I'll just buy 500rds when I get the gun I guess.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bills Custom Calls

I doubt that Glen 9mm shells are getting hard to come by
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

Unless Glen is reloading and already has his components, it will be hard to find.  I took a friend out yesterday who is just getting started shooting and he found 2 boxes in town.   I was with him and I asked the guy why they still had them and he said that the word was out that they didn't have any pistol rounds and they found these two boxes in the back.  I asked if he wanted to go check the back again and he said that he had.  As for reloading components, if you can find primers locally, buy them.  I have some, but did a search and Midway, Mid South, Graf, Bruno, and Sinclair all show NO primers in stock.  A couple of years back there was a shortage of Remington 7 1/2 primers but you could always find CCI, Winchester, or Federal.  Not now. 

You also might want to pick up some boxes of .22 LR if you are getting low and see some.  The price keeps jumping with each new shipment that the dealers around here get.

Jerry

Carolina Coyote

I know most of the people on this site did not vote for Obama, but before the election there were some that was begging for the change and I'm sure they probably voted for the ----- ! Well I hope you "Obaminites" got the change you asked for.  :argh:  some people never learn nor keep up to date of what is really happening in this country. The Democratic party for years has pushed and pushed for Gun control. Everything I see coming out of this administration is Bad news for true Americans who love their Freedom. They have started this back-door attempt on the ammunition and appears they are having some success at that. cc

HaMeR

It's not just the 2nd Amendment the democrats are against. They are also against anybody making a living on their own without the government. They are fundamentally big government people & would love to see every aspect of our lives controlled by it.

I for one will die at the hands of this government before I fall to my knees & beg from it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

yotefever

From what I get out of it, because of having a president that thinks he's a king and anti guns, anti Christian, etc.,  people started buying up gun related products fearing a  ban worse then 1994. 
Now we have people buying up supplies when they come into a store then turning around and selling them at gun shows. I've heard stories from around the country of people buying up one or more pallets of primers, and everything else they can get before the average guy can get to the store.
Hopefully people won't buy the stuff and the jerks will be stuck with the stuff.
I've also been hearing of people starting to find SOME things. It will take a while for manufactures to get their supplies and start making more to catch up.
I shoot handgun silhouettes and used to like shooting 22 rim fire because it was pretty cheap but now prices have at least doubled, sure wish I didn't sell some of those bricks a couple of years ago  :doh2:  I saw some over $40 for 50 rounds.
And to top it off gas was $2.60 today  :madd:
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"