• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

RED(TAIL) ALERT

Started by nastygunz, September 03, 2009, 09:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

SEE THOSE HEADS UP?...SOMETHINGS GOING ON.....

THEM BIRDS IS HEADING FOR COVER AFTER A BIG REDTAIL  HAWK MADE A HIGH SPEED LOW ALTITUDE DIVE ON THEM..AS THEY TRIED TO CROSS A SMALL FIELD....IT LOOKED LIKE HE WAS AFTER THE SMALLER POULTS BUT THEY GOT IN THE THICK STUFF REAL QUICK.

pitw

Cool Nasty.  I was asking about this with someone the other day and you have answered another of my endless questions on turkeys. :bowingsmilie:
I say what I think not think what I say.

nastygunz

If the question is do redtails eat turkey...I would say probably not an adult thats a handful but I have seen them go after young ones and my brother and I flushed up a redtail from the ground that was feeding on a poult...we assumed he killed it..but didnt see the actual killing....from the reaction of these turkeys they def recognize the redtail as a threat.

nastygunz

Big Mama and 3 poults...all from the same flock.

FinsnFur

Quote from: nastygunz on September 03, 2009, 09:16:11 PM

Yeah, some guy with a camera and no muffler on his Subaru just stopped :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

Quote from: FinsnFur on September 03, 2009, 10:02:08 PM
Quote from: nastygunz on September 03, 2009, 09:16:11 PM

Yeah, some guy with a camera and no muffler on his Subaru just stopped :roflmao:

I am one with the turkeys...they are my brothers...hold it...wouldnt that make me a.......... :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz

WELL, I hope turkeys eat chinese food cuz I just put a shot of it away for lunch :yoyo:...is there any better feeling then nice weather and a 3 day weekend looking you right in the eye?...headin north to the motherland...fishing...shootin..bbq'in....beer, cigars....ITS BEAUTIFUL, MAN! :congrats:

pitw

Quote from: nastygunz on September 03, 2009, 09:36:49 PM
If the question is do redtails eat turkey...I would say probably not an adult thats a handful but I have seen them go after young ones and my brother and I flushed up a redtail from the ground that was feeding on a poult...we assumed he killed it..but didnt see the actual killing....from the reaction of these turkeys they def recognize the redtail as a threat.

That was pretty close to the question I asked and thanks for the answer.  These tame birds head for cover at an airplane shadow too.  

nastygunz

Id be curious if Great Horned Owls ever get any turkeys cuz man they are some big birds and their feet are like meathooks with those clawsI was on a deer stand one day n saw a huge grey barred owl in one tree and an even bigger great horned owl acros the logging road staring right at each other...I thought I was gunna see the mother of all bird fights, then all of a sudden the horned owl launched and flew off.

pitw

I would think the owl will eat some yes.  I can have as many as 4 hooters sitting in my yard at dark though and have never lost a tame turkey to them[that I know of].  While I've got you on the line do wild hens strut?

alscalls

I have seen em strutt twice in my life and I am pretty sure she was the same hen both times....she had about a 4" beard and I never did get that bird..... :argh:
Being bearded I think she was........ lets say a little confused...... :innocentwhistle:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

Funny you should ask...this is the same group of turkeys....thats a hen..and she sure looks like shes strutting  :wink:

alscalls

Yea I have seen em do that right before knocking the crap out of one another about this time of year......Getting the pecking order straight.....I never really looked at it as a full strut though....I suppose it counts though I never really thought about it.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

Speaking of hawks, took this today, look at de hooks on dem feet: