• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

FNF community setup

Started by bushmaster, October 18, 2009, 12:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmaster

2050 Parks Lafferty Rd, Concord, NC

This is the farm address. I dont know how to get the image from google maps so if someone could get this up it would be a big help.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

bushmaster

I've been granted permission to hunt this property where a large coyote was spotted last night.  The point of this thread is to discuss and develop a strategy.  You guys draw it up, i'll be on the gun.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bushmaster

OK, perfect.  The letter A marks the xact spot where the coyote ran From the road and into the woods yesterday at 6:30pm. 

Now get this, I was scouting this evening back by the pond that is in the woods. I made my way back to the black pond in the front only to see a coyote come bolting down the same way as yesterday and into the woods he went, scaring the hell out of the horses on his way.  He never saw me standing next to the left front pond in my ghillie suit. 

The owner was up at the stalls and asked if i had just seen the coyote.  I laughed and said yes.  Apparently, her 2 year old quarter horse dragged her halfway through the pasture when the coyote jumped through the fence and ran right by her.

I tell ya there is some strange happenings around these parts. Yesterday the owl and today this??

By the way, the 4-wheeler trails are littered with tracks and some scat.  All of the tracks were leading into the woods.  back by the race track is an enormous thicket where I found a den last year.  So whats your take on an approach???

Jimmie in Ky

I don't see a lot of choices here with this one. You in what looks like suberbia with all the homes and bussinesses around you there. A south west wind some where back of that front pond in hte afternoon should get almost all of them. You have a heck of a bottleneck there because of all the houses. Jimmie

jkd0114

Quote from: bushmaster on October 18, 2009, 12:05:40 PM
2050 Parks Lafferty Rd, Concord, NC

This is the farm address. I dont know how to get the image from google maps so if someone could get this up it would be a big help.
Hey man I am really close to concord! I'm in Lincolnton NC lets go hunting together! I could use a partner? jkd0114@yahoo.com

bushmaster

Right on, I'll contact you via email.  In the meantime, get some posts up so you can activate your PM.

So whats the deal here guys? 116 views and jimmie's the only one to give it a sniff.
My mother contacted me this evening and said that she counted 10 sets of eyes after listening to a coyote chorus session at the farm last night.  I don't think i can wait any longer, i'm goin' in...

Bills Custom Calls

Good luck Bushy

Hey around here when Jimmie talks most of us listen  :laf:

If there are that many coyotes there I am sure you will bag one or you have a very good chance of getting busted

Keep us posted
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

North Carolina's just a skoshe out of my range
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Palegroe

I'm new here so excuse my geekyness,  Do u have a GPS is the q on the A about N35 18' 34.8" W80 32' 27.7" and about 675' elevation I've been looking at it on delorme topo tryin to get a good lay of the land.  If that is about the right location it looks like just right of the field with the red roof house in the edge and before you get to the pond in the woods is a draw with a creek bed in it seems like some were in there would be close to water and maybe a natural funnel away from the houses, businesses and road that you might check for scat or tracts.  May have to go to scatter gun tactics in the woods.  Hope this can help from 600 miles away. :shrug:
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

pitw

I'm sorry but I don't know how to use these geek instruments enough to find anything on google maps or anywhere else for that matter.  My best advice as usual is to get out there and try, repeat what works and repeat what doesn't work until it does. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

If it hadn't been for the addie Jim posted I wouldn't have been able to answer it. I went that route so I could back out and give the whole area a look see. Thats when I found all the houses in the area. Just follow the routes between the woodlots where there are no houses.  And I am not surprised to see them possibly living dang near in town. Jimmie

bushmaster

I'm gonna try the south east edge of the field w/red house. Just so long as the wind permits. I will report back

BTW the pond in the woods was littered with tracks and scat

coyotehunter_1

Bushmaster.
Your coyotes may have adapted a little differently to humans than they have here, but maybe not. I would suspect those coyotes are used to seeing and hearing people so they should have learned when it is safe to move about and when not. I would expect the majority of that coyote sign you find in the open areas was made at night.
From your previous post I figure you have pretty well decided an approach to the property. That being said, here's how Bop and I go about calling places like you described. Remember this may not work as well in your area but it may, sorry no guarantees. :wink:  We try to target the areas where coyotes feel secure to move about in the daytime. Isolated spots on the property, with ample cover to provide fast escape routes, are what we look for. Setting up close to or inside the woods edges is a favorite location. We take extra measures in smaller populated areas, it's fairly easy to over call these places. Working the call less often and using lower volume has worked pretty well here. Also we pick a spot to set up and don't move about, we do longer stands (an hour is not unusual). Around houses a cat/kitten in distress or K-9 pup are two sounds to consider.

I hope you get them figured out.  :wink: 

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.