• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

My biggest one yet!

Started by GAJoe, January 27, 2007, 07:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAJoe

Went to some private land Fri. mornin' and made three stands with no takers. Saw tracks everywhere. Left there and went to some National Forest land that had a power-line running through it. I set up on one hill and put my caller 2/3 up the next about 160yds away. There are chicken houses nearby so I put my chicken decoy on my JIB and played Chicken Distress on the FX5. I threw in a little raccoon fight at the beginning. After 5 or so min. of callin' I spotted this nice 45lb male sliding down the hill past it to get a better view.

He liked what he saw and started up the hill at an angle. He moved cautiously slow stopping halfway and gave me a perfect broadside shot with my 204. He spun about 5 seconds and went down. One little hole in ,,none out. I skinned this one out. I'm going to try my hand at soft tanning it. The pic doesn't do justice to the nice fur. It got roughed up getting packed out.
GAJoe

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Very nice  :highclap:
He musta been able to elude things for a while to get to that weight. Well done, thanks for the pics
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

keekee

Nice looking Coyote! The chicken is cool!

Brent

FinsnFur

Joe, Just seen your post over at PM regarding blood.
I wrote all the tanning articles over there, but I cant get in there to answer you. They banned me when I refused to go along with their "were gonna get rich scheme".

The blood your referring to on your hide should have been washed off with cold water before you salted it. Warm water will set the blood, and salt will definitely set the blood.
Now considering this is a coyote and the fur is usually dark with varying patches and blends, your worst case scenario will be stained areas around the bullet hole on the flesh side, which would normally be an off white once it's tanned.
The fur that had blood will most likely not even be noticeable because of the varying color blends of the natural fur...UNLESS your blood was in one of the real light areas of the fur.Looks like your was pretty light behind the shoulders etc.

You can also buy blood eliminators to pull some of it from the fur, and bleaches to get it close as possible back to normal should it be very noticeably stained.

Let me know if ya need anything  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

"You seeee tha size of dat cheek'n" 

Nice coyote and nice chick Joe.  :biggrin:

GAJoe

There are very few serious coyote hunters in GA. The interest is starting to grow though. Most coyotes that are killed in GA are by deer hunters that see them by chance from their deer stand and a few cattle farmers that carry guns. Farmers see them all the time from the tractor while bush hoggin' and cutting hay. If they kept a gun scabbard on the tractors the yotes would get a big surprize. There are a lot of chicken houses in this area so that's why I started using it. Got two with it now.
Finsnfur,
Thanks for the info on the blood and fleshing. Hate to hear that about you and PM, I wasn't aware of anything going on. I wish I had read your info on PM first. I had the hardest time trying to skin the inside surface of the ears. :confused: I finally gave up. :roflmao: :roflmao: Thought you would get a laugh out of that. I can't believe how much work this is, but it's my first one. I wanted something to keep from my biggest one and I shot. I'm not that worried about stains. I just didn't want the hair to turn loose.
Thanks for the help. I'll probably be in touch.
GAJoe

CCP

Good job Joe!!

I hunted in south GA in the late 80's early 90's I didnt meet a single person back then hunting coyotes. Everyone thought I was nuts!!

Keep them comin and glad to see you over here.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

studabaka

I like to wash the critters I get in cold water and towel dry before I skin em. You'd be amazed how much dirt, blood, etc comes off them. Plus it gives me a chance to locate burrs and mats before I get them on the fleshing beam.

I have also had good luck with removing blood by using 'blood eater' in the relaxing bath.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff