• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Old pictures

Started by Ladobe, December 03, 2006, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladobe

Found some old scans of some old slides - a couple of early 80's bird hunts.

Bear River in northern UT, Lesser Scaup.   Yes, I did hunt waterfowl with a 20 gauge modified sometimes.   Mostly just took it to rattle my regular hunting pards who thought you had to use 12's and 10's for waterfowl.   On this particularly poor day with nothing flying only the 20 scored something.   This one's a Winchester 1400 and took a lot of upland game and waterfowl for me (and won a few trap shoots too) before I gave it to a friends daughter.

Old mining slush pond near the Manning, UT ghost town on my son's first dove hunt.   I started scattergunning at an early age too with the same hand-me-down 410 bolter (Stevens 58B - Grandpa to Dad to me to my son) that was his first shotgun, although this time he was only using one of his pellet rifles.   Dad was taking a break after limiting out during a strong morning flight.   O/U is a custom Falcor Brevette.
USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Radd4

Great pics,  I especially like the one of you and your boy.  thats what it's all about sharing the great outdoors with your kids.

Thanks for sharing,

Rus
Radd4
Retired USAF
Desert Storm Veteran
Remember to thank those who are serving our country and the families of those who have died to keep you safe...Our Troops, Police and Firemen deserve our thanks"

Arkyyoter

Thanks for sharing Sir....

Joe

FinsnFur

Pretty cool Ladobe.
It's always fun going back in time with old hunting photos.  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

Ladobe, When my boys come home for the holidays, we always get the old hunting pictures out when they were growing up. We have a few laughs. Just wished I would have had a cam=corder then. Nice pictures.

WhiteHare

This really brings back good memories.  I wish i had some pictures of our family hunts when I was growing up.  Noone seems to have them on record.
To you "younger ones".  Take lots of pictures and let your family know where they are.

Richard
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Hawks Feather

Like Richard said, it does bring back memories.  I would also second his suggestion to take pictures now so that they will be around in the future.

Jerry

Ladobe

Thanks for the comments gents.

Unfortunately the ex has almost all of my pictures.   From the old black and white snapshots while growing up since the 40's right up to the divorce 4 years ago.   Thousands of them.   About all I got was the slides taken from the early 70's to about early 90's with my SLR, and some taken since I got my first digital camera back in the late 90's.   Bought a scanner years ago just to make the slides computer friendly, but it sure doesn't work very well.   So sad to say, most of my really good outdoor photos of a lifetime of hunting, fishing and traveling the world are gone.

USN 1967-1971

Smith

Those are some good pics. They take me back to my childhood, hunting with my father. Sorry to hear about your lose(all your pics).
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

Ladobe

Thanks for all the great comments folks.   No doubt the hunting heritage will live through our children.

Sure wish I could share some of the pictures the ex has/had.   Growing up on a mountain ranch made hunting/fishing just a way of life for all of my family.    HAd been that way for generations.    Some extra hard winters if we didn't hunt/fish, we didn't eat, and you started contributing to the table fare at a very early age.    Bet you'd love some of the B&W's of Big Camp.   That's what the locals in 2 or 3 nearby counties called our families 10-day deer camp every fall.   Usually around 45 guns in camp and with all the kids still too young to handle the 30 Guns (Winchester's for those too young to remember the old lever guns ruled the roost for hunting at one time), there was always well over 100 people in camp.   All men and women hunted and carried rifles back then, not just the men.   My mother and some aunts/cousins were better shooters than some of the men and boys.   Usually there was well over 100 deer on the camp poles that week, some years twice that.   They along with the elk, moose, waterfowl, upland game and trout we also harvested feed my very large extended family all winter.    You'd also enjoy the trout fishing pics too I'm sure.   I remember some of my Gandpa and I when I was about 10-12 with 150+ nice sized trout between us for a days fishing at the lake I was born on and the streams running near it.  And by "nice sized" I mean 16"-20" with a few in the 5-8 pound class.   Add that in some pictures of the fish laid out at one of our cabins the game wardens cabin is in the background.   

But then, all of the counties game wardens and the sherrifs posse was family too back then, so.....   :innocentwhistle:

Those were the days...   
USN 1967-1971

Bills Custom Calls

Good pics and stories I really love reading and hearing  about the good ol days

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call