• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Curious

Started by JohnP, March 28, 2010, 01:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Curious as to when most of you stop calling coyotes.  I normally stop around mid to late Feb.  This year because of other reasons I quit a lot earlier.  I'll still go out if one of the 4-H kids are having problems with them getting into one of their projects.  Also have a sheep rancher friend who calls if they get to killing his lambs.  We also go out and try to kill them when the antelope are dropping their fawns.  I have no problem with anyone killing them year round, so please don't take this post wrong, it's just that March is always very windy, April and later it's just to darn hot to be sitting out there.  I'll start up again mid to late September, after the first dove season is over and again depending on how hot it is. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Bills Custom Calls

There are a couple farms I hunt that the farmer wants me to hunt them year around,and if given the chance whether it was December or June I would put the smack down on a coyote
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

GunDog

We have a few farmers here as well that like to see us come and go - year round. We let a lot more get by us than we take ...  :wink:

John_NY

I like to call year round. Our season ended last night at midnight here. :madd:  It will be about 6 months before we can shoot at them again. "notice I didn't say hit em".  When I call in the summer I call in places I can't hunt. It's good practice and I don't educate the ones I can hunt.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

pitw

Quote from: JohnP on March 28, 2010, 01:09:16 PM
Curious as to when most of you stop calling coyotes.

Hopefully it will be three days after I stop breathing  :wink:.   

Up here where I am the coyote is a pest as well as a fur bearer.  We can hunt them all year and I know there are those that look down on people who kill a bitch with pups, but when a person who sends me a check for tens of thousands of dollars for looking after his crops calls and asks me to eliminate coyotes for him, I'll be killing coyotes fellow and trust me on this one. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

vvarmitr

Stop hunting 'em?  :huh:
I have more trouble getting time to start hunting 'em!  :sad2:

Jimmie in Ky

I start after the first frost and usually end it by the last one in late march or april. I dont like giving them any advantages of cover. They are hard enough to fool as it is without them having plenty of cover to work around me. I have no qualms about hunting them later if they are causing problems. Jimmie

weedwalker

Usually about when the bushes start greening up where you can't see thru them anymore. And towards the end of the season, I try to target males instead. But sometimes in the heat of the summer I get the urge and make a couple stands.

FinsnFur

I usually hang it up at the end of March, but only because It's about Mushroom and Fishing time. Like these guys if someone calls and says come get em...I'm gone. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: weedwalker on March 30, 2010, 03:37:15 PM
Usually about when the bushes start greening up where you can't see thru them anymore.

Can't ever remember that problem :nono:.

COYOTE INC

I hunt coyotes all year long.  The spring is a great time to hunt coyotes especially if you can get in near dens.  Coyote Vocalization works great for me all year long but is the Spring after most of the coyotes have had their pups I switch primarily over to distress calls to lure those alpha males who are hunting for the family to my stand.  I always carry a howler on my lanyard though because they are very territorial right now and you have great opportunities at doubles if you are close to the den and start in with some challenge howls after you have got a response out of them!
Best of Luck!
Hunt Hard and Be Safe!

THO Game Calls

So you advocate killing the breeding pair and letting the pups starve?   
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

pitw

Quote from: THO Game Calls on April 21, 2010, 09:25:08 AM
So you advocate killing the breeding pair and letting the pups starve?   

Al, I don't know what he is advocating  :shrug:.  I know I'm definitely in the minority here  :doh2:.  None of that kept me from responding though  :biggrin:.  
I can say that most of the guys I kill coyotes for would like to see as many dead and in any manner that it takes, so if that means getting the odd parent, so be it.  I had a coyote take the hen turkey off her nest and it didn't seem to concerned about the younguns :shrug:.  

THO Game Calls

I don't care if you hunt them year round, kill the breeding pair at the height of pup rearing, or just go in and wipe out the whole den.   That's your business, and your right if it is legal to do so where you live and hunt.  If someone ask you to remove a coyote, and you agree, again if it is legal to do so, that's your business and your right.   

I do fail to see how recreational hunters benefit from hunting for sport during the breeding and pup rearing season?  But I have to stress again, my failure to understand why has nothing to do with their right to do it if it is legal.

After spending over 40 years in the woods, I think I am finally coming to the realization that people are not against hunting as much as they are against what hunters do. 

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

vvarmitr

Quote from: pitw on April 21, 2010, 06:16:04 PM
I know I'm definitely in the minority here  :doh2:.
I wouldn't be to sure about that.
Ever hear of the Silent Majority?   :shrug:

pitw

Quote from: vvarmitr on April 22, 2010, 07:32:08 AM
Quote from: pitw on April 21, 2010, 06:16:04 PM
I know I'm definitely in the minority here  :doh2:.
I wouldn't be to sure about that.
Ever hear of the Silent Majority?   :shrug:

Heard of 'em but I'm afraid I don't subscribe to the silent part much  :biggrin:.

FinsnFur

I doubt he'll even reply let alone remember posting to this topic. He flew threw here like a salesman, pitching little notes everywhere.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com