• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

howlin times

Started by vayotehowler, May 17, 2010, 08:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vayotehowler

I have a quetions about times you hear howling. Around here in sw Va everyone says dogs dont fire up till like 1-2am when they hear em. what time do u hear em where u are????    see my 2nd post also

JohnP

Out here we been hearing them at about 2130 for about five minutes or less and then again about 0430 again for about five minutes or so. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

alscalls

That is not something you can set your watch by...... :nono:
If we could it would be a LOT easier....... :eyebrownod:

I have heard em get cranked up at 3 in the afternoon on a hot summer day....... I have heard them at all kinds of times at all times of the year....... the important thing to do is be there as often as you can and hope ya get a chance at em.....

Most folks will tell ya to howl during the mating season around Jan. Feb.
But I have seen it work just about year round......off and on of course....... BUT ya gotta try and learn what sounds you are hearing and making..... so you know how to react next.

For example in the heat of summer you can hear a lazy dog layed up and he will howl LOOOOOOOOOOONG and almost erie sounding howl...... once you know the sound I speak of you will find this dog has a belly full and he wont move until he is just about pushed to do so....

If ya hear a dog on one point howl (YAYAYAOWLLLLL) then another dog howl on a different point and maybe a third or forth dog....... wait and you will hear them assemble together as a group....... they are bunching up to work as a team to hunt...... So they could be coming...... :eyebrow:

The list goes on and on......... Barking is a big learning curve as well..... there are good ones and bad ones...... learn the difference.....

Then there is 80percent of them that come in dead quiet........ :laf: :eyebrownod:
Thats the challenge we face..... the coyote learns about us every min. of his or her life....... We learn about them when we have time.......
I hope I am making some sense for ya. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

CCP

QuoteBarking is a big learning curve as well..... there are good ones and bad ones...... learn the difference.....

True but you can get away with barking near about every time. The biggest factor being is it a homboy coyote your barking too are a transient?
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

shaddragger

Quote from: CCP on May 18, 2010, 05:44:02 PM

True but you can get away with barking near about every time. The biggest factor being is it a homboy coyote your barking too are a transient?
'Splain please :shrug:
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

alscalls

Quote from: shaddragger on May 18, 2010, 08:16:51 PM
Quote from: CCP on May 18, 2010, 05:44:02 PM

'Splain please :shrug:

Does he live there or not........ :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Jimmie in Ky

Homy get ticked off, Transient get otta dodge quick.  :laf:
Jimmie

shaddragger

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on May 18, 2010, 09:17:40 PM
Homy get ticked off, Transient get otta dodge quick.  :laf:
Jimmie

OOoooohhh!!   :shrug: So, are we talking a few short dog-in-my-yard, yipyipyip kind of challenge barks? I've never done much barking or howling.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

vayotehowler

lots of good tips, I agree is hard to find time to get out. I hve watched alot of videos and feel pretty comfortable with my calling , I have been several places this year, one farm yote went 40 yds from house 10 min before we get there . my partner always picked the best spotto sit even if i invited to aplace , the huntclub have access to sign every where but not much luck calling em in. his calls sound like a peacock in a vice. I have watched a ton of videos by randy anderson but he out west . i usually listen to the calls and try to identify them, and have an elcheapo  mp3 made. so try to do that but like handcalls too. I am gonna keep plugging away. appreciate the tips. have had a couple of saturdays to go but no motivation, working on that one,.