My great grandpas shotgun

Started by slagmaker, November 14, 2010, 10:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

This finally made it to my hands.

This was my Great grandpas shotgun.

The markings on the watertable.

I belive it is a 16 guage.
I really dont know anything more than it was his and now its mine.

I do know that I would love to have a shotgun built to todays standards but with the same shape as this one. Very comfortable and easy to point. It fits me very well. I think it would be a joy to carry in the field. I wonder how many rabbits it has taken?
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

golfertrout

centerfire_223

I have my Grandpa's double barrel too and there is no amount of money that could buy it. That is a treasure of a life time, congrats!!!  :highclap:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

Very interesting. Looks to be in pretty fair condition too.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

She's a nice looking old timer :yoyo:.  Until I find my book "Proof Marks of the World" I won't say much more than I believe made in Belgium.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Very nice, Slag.   Family heirlooms like that are so important.   :congrats:

slagmaker

Been doing soem research

It is a M.C.Meacham Arms Co built between 1880 and 1890. It's a hardware store gun in that they were made on order for Meacham "a sporting goods distribuitor" by diffrent gunshops One in Belgium and the rest in the states. I beleave you are right Barry and this one was made in Belgium.
It has seen a lot of use. If I had blackpowder loads for it I still dont think I would shoot it. It is very loose in the lock up and the firing pins have been mushroomed from the hammer strikes.

I was thinking about the land my family owned when this shotgun was new and how I have hunted the same land. I was thining about how I may have taken a shot standing in the same spot as my Ggrandpa. Lot of time under this gun. The family no longer owns the land, it was sold after my Grandmas death when I was 16. The house is all borded up now. Thers a bit of histroy in that house. It was a two story log cabin with a modern addition. The origional house was built back in the days of indian attacks.

I so wish I could walk those fence rows once more.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

vvarmitr

That is just spectacular!  :eyebrow:

I love reading/hearing stories like that.  :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about the homestead.  :sad:  :sad:  :sad:

alscalls

WOW!!!   Thats a neat piece!     :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

AWMiller

a jewel indeed!!  at our family cabin there are many of the old-timers rifles and shotguns and pistols....  It's now a tradition for each family member to mark their spot on the wall and designate which firearm they want to have put up on the memorial wall. We always put up a pic of them during a hunt with that firearm and it's truly something folks spend a LOT of time browsing every time we're there.

Thanks for post