• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

photo sequence of 2 coyotes in snow

Started by Okanagan, December 07, 2010, 11:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Sunday midday, driving through the Douglas Lake Road in BC.  I stopped to take a scenic photo from the vehicle.  When I rolled down the window I heard a pair of coyotes doing the yodel warble duet of high and low pitch fast barking.  They were over a slight rise of ground in front of me and out in open country beyond, so I eased off the parking brake and rolled silently downhill enough to clear the curve of ground. The two coyotes showed up plainly about a quarter mile away on an open snow field.  The first pic is a wide view of the scene, and the second is one of the coyotes following a fence line on the near side of that open ground.

The two of them came through a gate in the fence and moved toward me.

One of them pounced on mice two different times without me getting a picture of the leap.  The one below is poised to pounce.  He made a high arching leap and caught something behind the larger bush in front and below him.

One of the coyotes got nervous and left when I rolled my vehicle ahead again, but the other kept mousing past the old log building, and I took my last pic when it was within 250 yards.  I started my rig and drove on, passing a little closer, maybe within 200 yards of it.
l

HaMeR

Those are really cool pics!! Thanks for sharing!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

You forgot the gun didn't you  :alscalls:.

Neat frame work though. :yoyo:  It is fun watching them leap and such ;yes;.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Quote from: pitw on December 07, 2010, 11:38:28 AM
You forgot the gun didn't you  :alscalls:.

Neat frame work though. :yoyo:  It is fun watching them leap and such ;yes;.

Wal, actually I had a .243 and some handloads in the rig beside me. But you are right, I plumb forgot about it! :doh2:   Actually, I didn't feel like skinning a coyote at the moment, and I think that is private land or maybe Rez right there, though it wasn't specifically posted.   Had my mind on a hamburger in Merritt and didn't want to get my hands dirty. :laf:

pitw

I hear ya  :laf: :laf:.   Around here on the open plains most people don't seem to worry too much about who's land or what's behind them critters either.  Drive by shootings were going strong here years before it became fashionable in Los Angeles  :eyebrownod:.  I remember a fella shooting one across from a guys yard one time and when he came back to pick it up the farmer had drug it home and skinned it :argh:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

KySongDog

Nice pictures.   I've seen coyotes leap in the air to pounce on a mouse or vole and it is neat to watch.  Their concentration is intense.

golfertrout

Bills Custom Calls

Thanks for the pics Clyde
I enjoyed them
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Pretty cool for sure. They look so cool with a nice snow drop around them :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

I got a 5mm drooling over those pictures.  :biggrin: Good pics all the way around.  :congrats:

Bluesman

That's a post there.  Thank you for taking the time.

JB in NC
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

Okanagan

Thanx for the good words.  It is good country to see through the camera.  

FWIW, I used to be hungry to shoot coyotes, and did in a fair number when fur prices were high, helping with the down payment on our first house.  I know that feeling, and enjoy taking younger guys who are hungry out calling, etc.  I'm a little more selective now, as many of us get with age, which is my loss.  Don't take my lack of shooting sometimes as any damper on the eagerness others have to shoot coyotes, but rather an encouragement go hunt them after seeing these pics.  

Yotehntr

Always with the awesome pics.... I've never had the pleasure of watching them "mouse" like that... pretty cool.  Thanks for the pics!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

centerfire_223

Man that is some beautiful country up there. Great pictures to...  :yoyo:
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-