• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Cougar 1, me 0

Started by Okanagan, December 19, 2010, 10:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

Quote from: Okanagan on December 21, 2010, 10:08:30 PM
On this photo it sure helps me see the details of the track better.   Does that work for you or anybody else when looking at the wolf track pic?

It certainly works for me. I am amazed at how much more detail of that track is visible when squinting.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Okanagan

Pat, this got me remembering a pro artist I knew.  I watched him draw a portrait from a photo and he squinted at the photo each time before he touched pencil to paper.  He said that he did not know why but it helped him see what he was drawing better, and that he always does that.

Jimmie, on the tracks, something we didn't mention is the pattern of the tracks in the snow.  Only two tracks show but they look like a canine pattern of steps with the pair together and diagonal to direction of travel.   When walking, cats normally place their hind foot on top of the track left by their front foot, stepping exactly in their own tracks.  A pro wolfer I knew in Oregon would spot and identify tracks on a gravel or dirt road when driving 50mph.  If you called him on it he would back up and the tracks would be there.  He said the spots where something stepped in the dust show up, and then he identified the critter by the pattern of the spots, not by seeing an individual track.  I ain't that good, but wish I was.  :shrug:

alscalls

That squinting thing is cool...... I never noticed it before...... With my eyes I need all the help I can get these days.... :laf:
Thanks for the tip!
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Okanagan

Quote from: alscalls on December 23, 2010, 06:52:38 AM
With my eyes I need all the help I can get these days.... :laf:

Ain't it the truth!  :laf:

Merry Christmas!  May your eyes last for many more.

Jimmie in Ky

Much like the coyote then as far as pattern to them. That helps a great deal and will keep it as a mental note for future use.With all the rumors of cats being turned loose in these refuges and other parks throughout the state, I never really know when or where I might come across one. And having never actually seen one before this helps.

As for your fellow spotting tracks at fifty mph, I would have to see it. I can spot coyote tracks at ten or fifteen , but I know exactly where to look for them. And it is the pattern of hte track more than anything else that makes them stand out. Lots of dogs are used to hunt other game and their tracks are plentiful. Jimmie