• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Somebody splain the T shot to me?

Started by WldWldWest, February 24, 2011, 01:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WldWldWest

My son and I were watching some videos last night and we got to see some serious shotgun action on some yote's and now he wants to try his luck with a shotgun.

I know nothing about the loads they have out for em now, I have killed prolly 6 or 7 with 3 1/2 No.4 turkey loads but he wants to stretch it out abit and "Be all he can be"

Can I use my Turkey choke with Dead Coyote T shot? Or is there something better to use?

Someone School me on this?

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Biscuit

Personally i have never shot t-shot through a turkey choke but shot through a D/C choke tube it is very deadly. I have dropped them stone dead out to 54 yard. With that said out of the 10 that i have shot with T-shot ive only had 1 runner. Good luck Doug!!

WldWldWest

Quote from: Biscuit on February 24, 2011, 03:01:42 PM
Personally i have never shot t-shot through a turkey choke but shot through a D/C choke tube it is very deadly. I have dropped them stone dead out to 54 yard. With that said out of the 10 that i have shot with T-shot ive only had 1 runner. Good luck Doug!!

Does  D/C choke mean a Dead Coyote choke? Are their different restrictions you can get?

Thanks Biscuit!

!

weedwalker

Doug, The Dead Coyote choke tube is about .670 and roughly the same as most turkey chokes. If your choke tube says "Lead Only" on the side of it, DO NOT shoot Dead Coyote Hevi-Shot thru it. It might blow chunks out of the end of your barrel. If you are allowed to use buckshot in Tenn I would use 4BUCK to shoot instead of Dead Coyote T shot. And yes, I shoot 4BUCK thru my "lead only" turkey choke.

Biscuit

Yea D/C is the Carlsons dead coyote choke tube. You can find it online a whole lot cheaper than you can in the stores. I paid $28 S/H online and they go for around $35 dollars in the stores on retail before tax. Works for me but maybe not you. I love trying out different loads and chokes in my guns. I'm going to try the four buck as soon as im out of the D/C loads. Best of luck. Can't remember the number of shot i had in a 10'' circle at 50yards but i will look when i get back to the house!!

KySongDog

4 Buck, if legal in your area, is a whole lot cheaper to shoot than the Dead Coyote shells.   

Also, I am a big believer in a red dot or scope on your shotgun for these tight shooting loads and chokes.    I use a Weaver V-3 1x3 on my shotgun. I can keep both eyes open while looking through the scope and it works very well in low light.  You can adjust your point of aim to get center pattern with the scope/red dot.   I think shooting off center is what hurts a lot of shotguns with the tight chokes when shooting at distance.

WldWldWest

Thanks Ya'll, I consider myself educated! :highclap:

I think I'll try to pattern the no.4 first as we have a couple hundreds round's of buckshot I know there has to be some No.4's in there somewhere :confused:

!

Yotehntr

Hey Doug... can't use the #4 buckshot... not allowed to use anything bigger than plain 'ol #4 shot (not buckshot)... unless you're goose hunting... than you can use "BB"
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

WldWldWest

Ya just had to ruin it for me didnt ya :argh:

The 3 1/2 No. 4 Turkey loads and my Hastings turkey choke has worked really well on em before, I wouldnt be scared to hunt with it. I guess he'll have to settle for that!

!

markTNhunter

wldwldwest in tennessee you CAN use T shot or smaller for coyotes but not on WMA's or during deer or bear season it is on page 19 of your TN hunting & trapping guide or go to tnwildlife.org click on hunting guide.like you i have never tryed T shot but i have killed a few coyotes with the 3 1/2 mags turkey loads with an ultra full choke all of inside 30 yards i prbly wouldent try one any ferther.from what ive read about the T shot and and seen these guys on here talking about them like weedwalker you dont wana shoot them through your turkey choke.mondays the last day for WMA's im goin to chuckswan in the morning to sling some of those 3 1/2 's atem.

weedwalker

Quote from: markTNhunter on February 26, 2011, 05:32:34 PMfrom what ive read about the T shot and and seen these guys on here talking about them like weedwalker you dont wana shoot them through your turkey choke.

Actually I would use a turkey choke. But it must be a turkey choke made to shoot Hevi-Shot. They are made of stronger steel than a "lead only" choke tube. You just gotta read the fine print on the package the choke comes in. I'd recommend a Patternmaster.