• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Saw a black coyote today

Started by Okanagan, February 25, 2011, 08:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

About 4:45 this afternoon a black coyote was mousing 75 yards off the road as a friend and drove past, in good sunlight.  It  had white feet and a little white on it's face, but otherwise it was pure black all over except for a little lighter color on its belly.

I saw the coyote, did a double take and tried to make a dog out of it but it was a coyote all the way, and turned to show me broadside as well as front on.  No shooting area in a small farm field beside a school and close to houses in all directions.  No camera with me.  Doggone.  It would have made a good pic in the low angle sunshine.  That makes two black ones I've seen in my whole life, and I've looked at a LOT of coyotes from Mexico to Alaska.

Fun to see.

possumal

Wish you had your camera. That would have been a great picture.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

And an even better pic with you standing over top of it, cradling your rifle :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Seen my 1st black one this past Spring. They sure are nice looking critters. Too bad you weren't able to bring it home with you.  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

That would be neat to see as I've never seen a black one either. 

vvarmitr

Quote from: Okanagan on February 25, 2011, 08:32:54 PM
No shooting area in a small farm field beside a school and close to houses in all directions.
Sounds about like where I hunt here in Ohio.   :rolleye:
:laf:

That is pretty cool. I thought black coyotes were an eastern thing.  :shrug:

Okanagan

Quote from: vvarmitr on February 26, 2011, 09:54:33 AM
Quote from: Okanagan on February 25, 2011, 08:32:54 PM
No shooting area in a small farm field beside a school and close to houses in all directions.
Sounds about like where I hunt here in Ohio.   :rolleye:
:laf:

That is pretty cool. I thought black coyotes were an eastern thing.  :shrug:

I think you're right.  They are rare anywhere in the West where I've been, but some eastern men seem to see them regularly.   I would love to get that one and have him tanned.