• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Dip netting on the Copper River (older pic)

Started by Tikaani, May 14, 2011, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Found this picture from about 2001, I think.  Dipnetting on the Copper River.  We drove six hours down and spent twenty four hours netting off the banks and caught zilch.  Drove six hours back grabbed a boat, drove back down.  Put in at 0600 in the morning and by 0900, we had 117 reds (sockeyes) and 3 kings (cohos).  One operated the boat, my son was throwing them in the coolers as fast as he could and three of us had nets in the water.  Headed to one of the guys house and shot this picture.  A good two days for three hours work, but tired from lack of sleep.

Hunt Hard, Die tired.
John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Dave

Wow!  Great picture.  Brings back some fond memories of a summer I spent up around Kasilof.  I'm guessing that you were on the bank watching the boaters murdering em, and then figured it's only a short 12 hr run to get the boat.  Good ideas pay dividends.

Tikaani

Dave, that is exactly what happened.  We started drifting the boat along a gravel bar without much luck and moved down river, again moved back to the gravel  bar but this time drifted so the bow was almost on shore, a difference of just a few feet and all hell broke loose.

John

FinsnFur

Holy Coho...and your allowed to harvest that many?
That is a serious haul :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

You guys slayed em Tikaani!!!!!!!!

I see 120 fish there. What was the weight total for the trip. Close to 1500lbs would be my guess.   :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Fun trip.  Great photo!  I've always wanted to dip salmon net but never have.  Have watched it in several places with a couple of different styles of net.  Someday...

shaddragger

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Tikaani

Jim, normally you are allowed 30 per household, that year the run was exceptional so they gave out a supplement of 10 more fish.  It took some time to smoke and can 80 fillets.  Hammer, I never even thought about the weight of that many fish but on average the reds are about 10 pounds and the kings maybe 25 so yea your close, I know we had to head back to unload the coolers at about 60 fish.

John

iahntr

MMMmmmm   mmmm,   smoked salmon !   :biggrin:
Scott