• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

How The Leopard Got His Spots

Started by FOsteology, June 07, 2011, 10:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

The youngest boy (250Savage) is about bursting at the seams, as the clock is sluggishly ticking down to his eagerly anticipated embarkment on a grand adventure to the dark continent.
In preparation, and keeping with the theme of our impending travels, 250Savage has been devouring stories and books penned by Rudyard Kipling, Robert Ruark, and of course Peter Hathaway Capstick.

His interest and imagination has been captured and inspired.  :biggrin:

We depart Monday and return towards the middle of July. We'll be hunting two African countries. RSA (Republic of South Africa) and Zimbabwe.

In RSA, we'll hunt three different geographic area's. Each with different elevation, terrain, vegetation, and free-range indigenous species.
South Africa was previously not a hunting destination on my list, as much of South Africa is high fenced and/or "put-n-take". I was pleasantly surprised to find that there is indeed free-range fair chase hunting available in RSA.

We'll be hunting on the Easter Cape section in the Baviaansriver Conservancy (approx. 350,000 acres) for reedbuck, cape kudu, and lechwa.
Our PH has setup a hunt with hounds for caracal. We'll be pursuing the unique African gato in a tropical rain forested area somewhere along the Indian Ocean coastline.
We'll finish our RSA Safari in the KwaZulu Natal Umkomaas River Valley Conservancy (approx. 150,000 acres) where we will be targeting bushbuck and Nyala.

Should we have an opportunity, we may in route to the Umkomaas stop in the Stormberg Mountains to try for a mountain reedbuck and the elusive vaal rhebok.

Upon completing our travels and hunt in RSA, we'll travel to the West Nicholson area of Zimbabwe. This area is renowned for its BIG leopard! The terrain consists of thick bush and impressive granite hills (kopje's), which are the home of the evasive klipspringer and elusive leopard. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to kill a huge tom leopard! 250Savage will assist in the hunt by procuring bait.

Should we be blessed with a leopard, especially early-on in the hunt, then 250Savage intends to track down a klipspringer and perhaps a bushpig or warthog!  :wink:

250Savage is outfitted with a Winchester M70 Featherweight XTR 7x57mm Mauser loaded up with 175gr. Nosler Partitions
I'll be taking my Kimber 84M Classic .308Win loaded with Federal's High Energy 180gr. Nosler Partitions

I'm sure we'll have a couple stories and numerous pictures to share upon our return.

Hawks Feather

Quote from: FOsteology on June 07, 2011, 10:31:17 PM
250Savage will assist in the hunt by procuring bait.

Does he know that he is going to be the bait if his procuring skills are lacking?    :biggrin:

This sure sounds like the trip of a lifetime and one that will be priceless on so many levels.  Camera, did you remember the camera?  I sure hope so.

Jerry

FOsteology

Yes, I have a few camera's that will make the journey.

Cameras:

Panasonic GH2
Olympus E-PL1 with VF-2 Electronic Viewfinder
Canon S95

Lenses:

Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F/4.0-5.6 OIS
Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH. MEGA OIS
Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 Aspheric G
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6

I seriously contemplated the Canon 7D and EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS and a couple other lenses..... but that setup is HEAVY. Plus, once in Africa with the inter-country travel on SAA, carry-ons are restricted to 18 pounds.... and those jokers actually weight the bags! I'm not comfortable checking my camera gear baggage to the baggage gorillas and thieves .... even with a Pelican case.  :nofgr:

HaMeR

:whew:  Nice grab on the cameras Jerry!!  :biggrin:

FOs & Savage-- I know you'll have a great time & wish you all the best & will keep you both in my thoughts while you are there. Good Luck & bring home the memories!! Have a Safe trip!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I'm looking forward to the pics and stories almost as much as Savage is the trip. :eyebrow:
Here's to wishing you both a safe and productive adventure. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

A month in Africa, Wow!  That sounds like a great adventure.  Looking forward to the pics. 

Watch out for the tsetse flies and don't forget your quinine pills!   :eyebrownod:   And be safe.   :wink:

HuntnCarve

Wishing you and 250 Savage a wonderful trip!  We'll be looking forward to all the trophy photos and stories when you get back.  Stay safe, and God's speed my friend!

Dave

Hawks Feather

Fos,

I know a way that you could have ALL your camera equipment there and not need to worry about anything.  You just need to take your own personal photographer along.  That way you would not be bothered by wondering if you should watch 250 shoot of you should be on the camera.  I realize that this would be an almost impossible thing to ask a photographer to do, so I will just volunteer for the job.

Jerry

Dave

How lucky you both are to be able to spend all that time together, and hunting, none the less. 
If 250Sav hasn't read "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo" yet, I'd highly recommend it.  Dave Paul loaned it to me awhile back and I recommend it whenever I get a chance.  It's a true story about a man hunting two man-eating lions back in the late 1800's in Kenya as immigrants worked on a bridge over a river.  "The Ghost and the Darkness" is a late '90's movie made based on the book. 
Have fun, and I'll be watching for your posts.

iahntr

Very cool to be able to do a trip like that together !  That is awesome.
Have a safe and great time ! Look forward to the stories and pics.
Scott

coyote101

FOs,

I hope you and Aaron have a great safari. Be careful, stay safe, make some wonderful memories, and bring back plenty of pictures.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FOsteology

All packed and ready to go!

I have a feeling this is going to be an extremely loooooooong weekend for 250Savage.  :biggrin:

THO Game Calls

Watch out for those leopards Fos.......you don't want to end up like this guy......

You can read the whole story here  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1393866/Leopard-jumps-Jeep-photographer-safari.html

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Al @ THO
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

HaMeR

Best of Luck. Safe travels. And see you when you get back!!!!!!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

Good luck, guys!!!  May your journey be safe and prosperous.   :biggrin:

We’ll keep the light on for ya’.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.