• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Bobcat skull

Started by coyote101, July 12, 2011, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

After taking my bobcat to the taxidermist for mounting, I decided to try to preserve the skull. I got the skull back from the taxidermist after he had skinned it out. I put it in a bucket of water in my garage and let it soak for about three months, changing the water once or twice. It took quite a while to get all of the muscle and tissue loose because the outside temps, and consequently the water temp, were still pretty cold. It works faster in warmer water, but I started all of this in mid January. It was not so cold that this didn't stink to high heaven though. I wouldn't do this in an attached garage.

After getting the skull clean of all tissue I let it soak for a couple more months in a solution of water and dish detergent to degrease it and kill the smell. I took it out of the soapy water a couple of weeks ago, rinsed it, and let it dry out. Then I glued the teeth back in, because all of the incisors had fallen out early in the soaking process.

I did not bleach it because I like the natural look. Anyway, this is the finished product:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HaMeR

That's purdy darn nice right there!! Nicely done!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FOsteology

FinsnFur

Yep, that turned out real nice. She cleaned up well.
I've done a few in water in my day. It sure changes the appetite for a while :innocentwhistle:

You could get some peroxide from a hair dresser if you decide you wanted to whiten it up anymore. Peroxide wont eat at the bone like bleach.

You done a good job :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Nice job, Pat.   Looks good. 

weedwalker

Looks great Pat!! :yoyo: I've never noticed before on other cat skulls, but it has holes in the bottom jawbone where the top fangs come down. :wo:

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

Quote from: weedwalker on July 12, 2011, 05:52:56 PMI've never noticed before on other cat skulls, but it has holes in the bottom jawbone where the top fangs come down.

That "hole" on the anterior surface of the mandible (below the canine) is the mental foramen, which allows blood vessels and nerves to supply blood to the lips and surrounding area.

weedwalker

Thanks FOs. It's just something I've never noticed before.

FinsnFur

The surface of the who, below the wahaat? :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

shaddragger

:confused: What he said! Looks good, Pat!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Okanagan

Remarkably good job on the skull, as good as I've ever seen for a home done cleaning, right there with beetles.

Re the hole in the lower jaw, I've noticed a big blue blood vessel right there when skinning the lip back on bobcats.

Will hijack on a tangent:  I've had so many surgeries done on my skull that I have joked with doctors about the curiosity it will cause some anthropologist who finds my skull someday!