• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Take Out or Let Walk

Started by FOsteology, November 05, 2011, 11:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FOsteology

Debating about taking this young buck out of the gene pool. Typically, our "philosophy" here in Texas is a spike (1.5yo and older) doesn't amount to much.
I figure he's a 1.5yo.... and with the drought conditions, maybe see if he improves next year?
Then again, I have no shortage of 1.5yo to 2.5yo bucks on the property that are 6-10pts and will undoubtedly mature into very nice deer.

Todd Rahm

Depends ya eat'n or rack'n?  :biggrin:

coyotehunter_1

Looks like a prime candidate for a good ol’ TEXAS BBQ.  ;yes; :wink:

Here’s an interesting write up on the subject...
http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/info.php?id=255
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

George Ackley

here is my opinion and experiences in real life deer hunting pal.
His spikes are of the good nature, he is what I call a cow horn spike.
the spikes to take out I have always thought were the odd looking spikes like one 10'' spike on the left and a 3'' on the right. this deer in the photo will be a good buck some day given the chance.

My opinion and again experience would be the deer in the photo was born much later then others and isnt 1.5 years old
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

Hidehunter

I would give him another year if it was me and see what he looks like next year, he is still a young deer.
Denver                                           

Okanagan

Well, since I haven't had breakfast and am hungry, I'd barbecue him or make some of that fine Texas real meat chili.  Give me an hour or two and I might consider letting him grow up, however.

You are fortunate to have lots of deer to pick and choose.  Deer are scarce most of the places I hunt nowadays and most of us take whatever we can find that is legal.  I hunted hard yesterday from before daylight till after sundown and never saw a single deer of any kind.  Would have shot such a spike instantly.  :yoyo: I called in one big footed deer that blew out with a loud racket when the wind shifted and messed up my ambush plan.

KySongDog

I agree with George.  That looks like it was a late drop.  I say give it a year or two and you might be surprised at how the young fellow develops. 

FinsnFur

Yea, I'd say it depends on what your looking for too. Roast or Rack
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

FOsteology

It's more of a management issue. Not only would we like to keep the buck to doe ratio 1:1 but also weed out the inferior bucks so they don't contribute to the gene pool.
At 1.5yo, he's not going to be doing any breeding this season, so he just might get a pass.

Carolina Coyote

A lot of myth's out there about Buck horns, We manage Deer on our property and don't kill anything because of Rack size or shape, A article in Georgia /Gon magazine last year by one of the Game biologist said nothing about a rack could tell what the Deer would have the next year. If you want big horns let them walk and thin out the Does. We only harvest !5 inch inside spread or better. It took us about ten years before we started seeing a big difference but it works believe me. cc   

WldWldWest

Down here in the Flatlands of TN he's a trophy!!! I'd let him ride a bit!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!