• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Say hello to my little friend - NOT

Started by Hawks Feather, July 13, 2012, 01:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

So here is the story.  I have had these wasps drilling holes in the ground along the south side of the house for several years.  I go out and try to kill them (without getting stung) and spray with bug killer and things like that to try to discourage them.  There have been a few this year, but I have done better with spraying bug killer which seems to be helping.  Then last night, there was an article on the Kids’ Creation Playground (here in Defiance) being closed due to Eastern cicada killers commonly known as sand hornets setting up home there in the sand.  They will need to remove all the sand to try to get rid of them.  I don’t know how that will keep them from coming back next year, but it might.  Anyway, I found one that was dead beside the air conditioner and had it saved in glass to try to find out what it was â€" paper took care of that for me.  So today I was out spraying again and one lands in the corner of the garage as I was putting the bug killer away.  Mistake.  I sprayed it and really soaked it down, only to have it start to fly.  Started spraying again and the stream knocked it down to the stone in the alley.  I kept the hose spraying on him and stepped on him.  I left him there until a short time ago.  I checked and he had not been too badly damaged from my foot (I think I need to gain weight) so I brought it in and here is the result.

Jerry

HaMeR

Nasty looking little bastids you're raising over there Jerry!! Stomp em repeatedly & if that doesn't work stomp one more time then draaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggg your foot across the concrete with steady even downward force. That otter do it for ya!!  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

I'm fighting wasps & yellowjackets with the occasional small Hornet nest around here as I work on the house. Got stung 3 times so far.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

These suckers are BIG - body is a couple of inches on most of them.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Quote from: HaMeR on July 13, 2012, 03:27:33 PM
draaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggg your foot across the concrete with steady even downward force. That otter do it for ya!!

:alscalls: :laf:

That cracked me up. LOL
Maybe the bug spray is making them mutant, Jerry :huh: Spraying em down like that and they try to fly away :sad3:

You wanna borrow my laser sighted 1322 a while :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

It's funny you put this up. I was talking to my mom on the phone the other night, and one of these suckers hit the window at there house. She says they do it every once in awhile, sounds like a freakin sparrow hittin it. I guess they're real bad around there too. People have been tryin all sorts of things, like pouring gas down there holes, and not much is working. I say don't stop there, light the match!  :biggrin:  But like you were sayin, they hit em with stuff like wasp spray, and they just fly away like nothin happened. I wouldn't care to be stung by em I don't believe  :nono:
Scott

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

A insect control spray you might want to try is (HI-Yield) 38% Permethrin. This stuff has been the best thing I have found to control Fire Ants. cc

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the tip.  I just ordered a quart that should be here next week.  I will give it a try.

Jerry

code

We use pipe primer and it seems to work fine especially when you light it. :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset

JohnP

I pour powder down the hole and then throw a match in - just don't be looking down into the hole when you throw the match in.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Gasoline kills them instantly.    At least it works on paper wasps.   Just be careful and don't burn your house down.   :laf: