• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Lil-Mans open reed

Started by Lil-Man, March 22, 2007, 09:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil-Man

I'm posting this for Cameron as he is still learning all the how-to's on the computer. :confused:

Since Mr. Jim has ESP or ESPN  :rolleye:, and knew he was working on another open reed he decided to post here and see what you think.
This piece is made out of laminated Maple and sounds pretty sweet. He is asking $12 as it has a line in one of the laminates that had a place that just would not come out in sanding. So he filled it. I have looked it over several times and don't think it will ever be a problem, but if I'm wrong he will happily replace it with another call or refund your money.
Lil-man did everything on this call except drilling as his new lathe is not here yet and he has tried to drill in the past on the drill press and got way of center. (Has to be his mother in him.... :innocentwhistle:) ( Dear Lord please don't let her read this :whew:)

So take a look and at least give him your honest opinion as he is far from being as good as you guys, but for an eight year old I think he is giving it his all and learning every day.

He is set up to take Paypal, check or money order.

Thanks for looking,
Cameron & Danny
Take a kid hunting!
I'm a kid :)-

Bills Custom Calls

The call looks great to me but I am no expert.I am not going to buy this call.I will give someone else a chance to enjoy your work.

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

FinsnFur

Hang on a sec...I'm getting another tuition ...it's coming  :huh:

:laf:

I think he's coming along just fine.
I envy your persistence Lil-man  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Tell him when he gets up in the morning that the guy in Ohio wants to buy his call.  Ask him to take a permanent marker and sign that call so everyone will know who made it.  Let me know the details.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Now Jerry If he puts it like that Lil Man is going to think I am buying it  :laf: :laf: wait till ya get that thing in your hand.

Good job Cam

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

awh

Jerry,
He had already left for school. (He's so hard to get going of the morning unless it's hunting or fishing then he pops right up out of that bed? That I can honestl say he gets from me...LOL)
This afternoon I'll get him to sign on and reply.
If your using paypal, it can be sent to Littlemanscalls@yahoo.com. If not he can give you the info when he gets home.

And your right Bill, If I was to just tell him Ohio, he is going to think you. :laf:

Thanks,
Danny
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

Danny,

PayPal is done, but there is no rush on my end to get it shipped.  By the way, now that he has done open and enclosed reed calls, is he planning to start acrylic soon?

Jerry

awh

Not unless he starts buying the supplies himself...LOL He likes the way they look and wants to try them, but from everything I've read on how to turn them I don't think he's quite ready for that task yet. He still has trouble on certain woods and I have talked him into sticking with wood until he's a little older & I don't have to be beside him while he turns. I'm in the process of making him a jig to drill with and the new athe will have a chuck on it so he was two options. I also talked to a friend that owns a machine shop and he's going to make a couple of jigs for him so he can play around with making his own reeds. We just have to get the first one made & shaped right so my friend can make the patteren.

His mother hasn't seen him yet and between her & my mom if they were to see him and know the what if's....me and Lil-man's viewing would be on a Saturday night with burial the following morning. :innocentwhistle: But then again it couldn't be any worse than when I came home with him a motorcylce when he was 5. We both survived that thrashing from the two of them. :rolleye:

Get this, Last night he turned another call and after he finished sanding it I actually got to get on the lathe.  :highclap: I turned a call for myself , since he won't do it, and as I was almost done it flys out of the lathe hitting the tool rest and chips the crap out of the wood. So I'm back to square one and hope I'm in line to get him to make me one. I guess I'm going to have to make me an email address up and order one. LOL
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

Hawks Feather

Come on Dad.  Everyone knows that he needs to learn the economic end of call building.  He needs to "rent" your lathe and the "payment" would be that for every 10 calls  that he makes, you get the pick of the littler.   See, it is right there in the fine print of his call building contract. :readthis: 

Just kidding,

Jerry

awh

I like the way you think. I might have to try that on the lttle turd and see if it works.  :eyebrow: :biggrin:

Lil-Man

Thank you Jerry.
do you want it singed with my name on it or LIL MAN.?

cameron
Take a kid hunting!
I'm a kid :)-

Hawks Feather

You are very welcome.  As for the signature, you are the call maker and I will leave the decision up to you.

I have to warn you that I was an elementary principal for 32 years and can't believe you are not as eager to go to school, as you are to go hunting.   :laf:   Actually I do understand how you feel, but I have to remind you that a good education is something that no one can take away from you and you will be able to use it the rest of your life.  I know that reading has sure helped me to become a better call maker.  Not that I am all that good, but after reading about calls and lathe operation, I am better than when I started.

Later,

Jerry

DirtyDog

Just make sure that when you sign it, you use a Sharpie. I work for the company that makes them, so if you don'y have one, I will send you some.

THO Game Calls

Well, I might have the perfect alternative for him.  How about some white delrin?  It is soft, turns nice and is pretty easy to sand to finsih.   Drop me a PM, and I will see about putting a stick of 1 1/2 round stock in a box for him. 

It's great to see a young man doing this.  Good for him and you for giving him the confidence and support he needs to make calls.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results