• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

In my mind's eye....

Started by Arkyyoter, March 27, 2007, 07:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

I am working on something I really think is neat....I should wait to show ya'll, but I am like a kid, and I can't  :iroll:

I REALLY wish I had a nice piece of ebony for this one....but, alas, I am using a very nice piece of Tulip....

The call will be a closed reed configuration, utilizign a single brass reed, tuned the very best I can...

I have had this idea for some time now, but didn't want to spend the time....I have worked SEVERAL hours already on it, and am not close to finishing...bet here goes...

This call has an Indian Water Buffalo mouth, and the band is Elk Antler....the elk antler band was more difficult than I had imagined, but so far everything has gone together seamlessly....

I hope ya like it, I am tickled so far with it....hope to have a few hours more on it tomorrow afternoon...

Thanks for lookin'

Joe

FinsnFur

First I have to comment on the title of your post Joe. Does this mean that if you lose your mind you go blind? Holy crap..I made that rhyme too  :biggrin:

The call...looks goods far. I've never seen anyone chuck the entire call like that before. Doesnt it mark up the wood?
Can ya tell I'm not a call maker?  :iroll:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Hey Joe,

That is off to a great start.  Keep having fun with it.  I was looking at the picture and am wondering if you have a new lathe?  Or at least a new chuck?

Jerry

Brad H

Your enthusiasm has really got me wanting to see this bad boy when it's done. :yoyo:

Keep after it!

Brad

Arkyyoter

LOL...thanks guys....I hope to work on it tomorrow some more...

Jim..... :roflmao:...where the chuck is holding won't be part of the call.....and yes, it marks it up, but on most of my calls, the finish is so bad ya can't tell it by looking  :eyebrow:

Jerry....yessir, I picked up another chuck....speeds things up a bit...another little Nova midi...

Brad....thanks man...I will post 'em 'less they are ugly!!!!

Joe

ninthinning

Arky,
you are a wizard with a lathe.  Nice looking chuck.
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

keekee

Hey Joe,

What do you think of that Water Buffalo horn? I got some here I been working with as well. If I can get it drilled its good to go, but drilling a 3" long piece sucks! Any heat at all and she cracks! Are you soaking it in cold water for 12 hrs before you work it?

I am looking forward to see you call finished!

Brent

Arkyyoter

Thanks guys.....

Eric, you are very kind....

Brent, I have been using very sharp bits, and drilling very slowly coming out of the hole every 1/8 to 1/4 inch....I have read about soaking it, but thus far I haven't split a piece...I haven't tried to drill a three inch piece though!!!! I am putting these in a vice on my drill press and playing the "easy does it" game....

Joe

BryanStanley

Very creative Joe. What will you ever come up with next.

Bryan