• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Colorado Trout

Started by Dave, October 07, 2013, 09:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

The Piney River runs by the trailhead where we had parked for our elk hunt.  Dante fished it for about a half hour when we arrived catching one or two small trout about 5/6 inches.  We then hiked away from this area, but I know it was constantly in the back of his mind.  When Dan shot his cow, he wanted to help pack it out so he could get that fishing rod back in his hands. 
We were all going to pack back out from our elk camp back to the truck on Wednesday, and then would need to get on the road shortly there after, leaving little or no time to fish. 
Well since Dante was Jonesing to get back there, he and I hiked out Tuesday night so he could get about 3 hours of fishing in the next morning before Dan and Jeff hiked back from camp.

Here are a few pics and clips of the fishing.

One of half a dozen small brookies and brownies he hooked into

Several of these waterfalls - this one being the nicest we saw

The old man had to get in on a little.  Very little before the rod was taken back.

Here is one of my favorite shots of the whole trip.  We had hiked about a mile downstream to get away from any pressure from the trailhead campers.  A storm was rolling in fast , so we were hustling back to the truck.  Dante saw this waterfall and had to fish it.  I thought we already did, but he assured me we didn't and ran down for a few casts. 

He caught this brownie right away.

Then he hooked up with something nice!

Wasn't long before he pulled in this beautiful 18 incher!

He had wanted to keep a few trout to bring home, but we really couldn't keep those 4 to 6 inch ones.  I'm thinking he is going to want to keep this, which would be a sin.
However, after unhooking it, this is what he said: "Dad, we gotta let this guy go.  And we might as well get out of here right now as we can't do better than this!"
I was on board as thunder was rolling closer and closer.
It was a perfect way to end an incredible trip.

FinsnFur

Dad we gotta let this guy go :wink: Nice job Dante, as tempting as it was, you done the right thing.
I dont have the ability to fish clear water but if did I dont think I could have even come close to you that day. Fishing clear water is a whole new ball game. Nicely done :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Awesome photos Dave!! I love the colors of those fish!!

coyote101

What a trip you guys had.  :biggrin: Congratulations to you dad for making those memories with your son.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

HuntnCarve

Well done Dante! 
We all know you hooked one and then gave your dad the fishing rod to let him reel it in.  You are a good son.

I can only imagine how big that trout will be the next time you are out there fishing. :wink:

Dave